Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gluev

Which file should i keep if i change my Windows 98 hard disc

I have to hard discs, the first one with Windows 98 and the second one with W2K.

If i change disc 1, which files should i copy on my new disc to keep dual boot and continue with windows 2000 working????

Thank you, i m afraid of losing my windows 2000 system!!!

THANK YOU

------------------

GLUEV PRODUCTIONS

http://www.gluev.com

Your first hard drives contains the master boot record so you can't just copy some files to another drive and things just keep working. A couple of questions.

1. What hard drive does W2K reside on?

2. Why are you wanting to change your primary hard drive.

3. Are you wanting to get rid of Win98?

At this time the best thing for you to do, so as you don't lose anything would be to use a program like Drivecopy or partition

magic to move the partition to another one.

As much info as you can give us will make this an easy transition.

This all assumes that you are using the Win2K bootloader menu to select the OS that you are going into.

You would be essentially doing the same thing as making a boot disk. Here is a link on that process:

http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=14716

The main thing that you want to do, is follow line 2 and keep those files on the first drive (win98 installation). In addition, make sure to keep the files on that drive that pertain to any programs you are running in Win2K as well (in case you are "sharing" and installation of Office, for instance). It should be fine if you keep these files on there. However, just for a backup, make a seperate floppy from those directions in case you delete something on accident, that way you can boot in to Win2K.

------------------

Regards,

clutch