Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cbk

Primary Slave (HDD) not found

The HDD of my old PC P4 1.8mhz was damaged and it was replaced with a new one formatted with XP-SP2 V3 as OS system. I also installed a Primary Slave Drive (HDD) but it was not been able to perform neither can be seen on My Computer. The said Slave HDD can be seen on Bios set-up or during system start-up it was detected. Any one please help. Thanks

Is the primary slave drive jumpered correctly?

Also, is the slave drive formatted with a ntfs or fat32 filesystem?

Yes, it was jumpered correctly. This slave drive was working perfectly when the old primary drive was ok.

Originally Posted By: cbk
Yes, it was jumpered correctly. This slave drive was working perfectly when the old primary drive was ok.

Ah, then maybe the Primary MASter is setup in single-drive or cable select mode.

What is the make/model of both of these HDD's ???

The jumper settings have to both be correct for proper IDE, MAS/SLA settings to work wink

Primary master = WD 160gb jumpered to Master with Slav

Primary slave = ExcelStore Technology J240 40 gb jumpered as slave only

It still may be helpful to have the primary master drive model number.

But, if you are sure that the drive jumpers and cables are correct and secure, see if the drive can be seen in computer management, adding a new drive designation to it. From the ExcelStore support site;

Quote:
I have installed my new drive, but I can’t access it in Windows Explorer? How can I use the drive?

You may try following steps to resolve it.

If the HDD has not been partitioned and formatted before, then please right-click "My Computer"-> Manage-> Storage-> Disk Management-> Choose the drive you want to manage, right-click its icon, choose "Partition" and "Format" on the pop-up menu. Please note that this action will erase all data on the hard drive.

In some situations, if the HDD has been used on another computer before, the hard drive is detected in your system BIOS but no drive letter is allocated by the Operating System. It is probably because the Operating System didn’t assign drive letters to it (should be assigned by default), you need to assign the drive letter manually. In the same procedure as mentioned above, right-click the Logical drive(s) on you Physical Disk(s), then choose “Change Drive Letter and Paths” from the pop-up menu to manually assign a drive letter to it.

After doing the above procedure, your HDD will be accessible in Windows Explorer.

Reference