Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Frank

How cool should my system be

Right now Ive got the PS fan, a case fan in back, a HDD cooler, to suck air in, and an adjustable slot fan. Ive got a coolermaster socket A cooler rated at 4200 rpm, but its running at 4800rpm to 5000rpm. CPU temp is 32-40C/93-100F and mobo at 23-27C/74-79F. Is this pretty cool? Will getting an Orb HSF make my cpu any cooler. Ive got a 300W PS and my specs are on the signature line.

------------------

Whaazzzupppppppppp!

Asus A7V

Duron 600@680

384 MB SDRAM PC133@113MHz

Samsung 48x CD-ROM

Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM

Zip CD650 USB 4/4/6

Zip 100 USB

Maxtor 20.4 GB ATA100

Voodoo 4 4500 AGP

Guillemot Maxi Sound Fortissimo

SIIG 3 port 1394 PCI Adapter

D-Link DFE-530 10/100 NIC

Creative Cambridge Soundworks FPS1000

MS Intellimouse Optical

Kleer 17-inch @ 85Hz 1152x864x32 desktop

At first I thought this was going to be another "Why is my system so dope" post...but luckily, cool meant temperature.

Anyway..

you're running an AMD which will run hotter than an intel....cpu temp is around 100, on the lesser side of ti, and mobo is at about 80, lesser side of that

That's pretty damned good to be honest.

If you're going to go buy a HSF, I seriously recomend a GlobalWin FOP32, or 38 if you can handle noise, or the WKB series if you're willing to go with the dreaded Delta Black Label.

Also, an alpha is a good choice too, be it the PAL6035 or the PEP66T

the PEP66T will work fine since you have an Asus A7V--the abit and other similar mobos that have the cpu rotated 90degrees to the left have problems with this HSF.

here's my system for comparison

Asus CUSL2

PIII800eb@954 w/ PEP66T(&DBL)

256MB RAM PC133@159 2:2:2 5/7 Strong

8x4x32 Iomega CDRW, 6x40 Pioneer DVD

45GB Maxtor, 15 GB IBM >both UDMA100 7200 rpm

nvidia GeForce2 GTS(OCed to 250/390)

SB Live!

Promise Utlra 100 controller card

Trendware 4 port Switch/Ethernet PCI card

Razer Boomslang 2000(on a Razer Boomslang Everglide Giganta)

Dell UltraScan 1025D Trinitron 17" montior(1600x1200x32 @ 60)

my system is currently running 27C(84F) mobo and 28c(85F) CPU....with the overclock, and about 1100 CFM in my case smile

Ambient is about 76 degrees, but my case is too close to the vent, and the heater's on, so my side fans are blowing in the hot air.

it's loud, but it's cool. When @ at LAN party, I checked it, and I was running 80/81 in a room that was 78. (Fahrenheit)

i run with an Alpha PEP66T heatsink and a 38cfm fan on my Celemine 667@1133MHz, it runs at about 92F Idle and 98-102F Full Load. The case temp varies due to the fact that i keep my window up and its cold outside here. I'd say its about 70F-85F.

I'm building a second system..all I'm waiting for is my Celery

I'll be running an 815 motherboard(no, not 815e , or ep-the original 815- an oem from gateway I got for 40 bucks0...and jsut 2 or 3 fans and a GOrb

as long as it's under 120F, I'm not going to be worried.

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

Well, I was thinking of having the title as "How Cool is My System" but I wanted people to reply. I remember that guy who thought his rig was so "dope." He ticked off so many people too.

The main thing that concerned me was that before I used some heatsink compound, my HSF was cooling the CPU into the mid 20's C. I used some Radio Shack compound. Does that stuff suck, or did I put too much or too little on. I put just enough to lightly cover the core ( I could still kinda see its color).

Mid 20s is great.

don't worry about it

I covered my PIII in it, and it was unnecessary. There IS such a thing as too much paste.

I don't have any of the radioshack stuff on here necessarily, but I've used it and it's been pretty good to me...

But where you're at is great.

One of the best compounds is Arctics Silver or the newly released Arctic Silver II.

It's relatively expensive for the amount you get, but it is much better than just about anything else.

You need a thin coating on the actual CPU core (no more than the thickness of a sheet of paper), and spreading it about too much could cause problems.

Particularly with AMD CPUs where it could come into contact with the L1 bridges. It is conductive, so shorting them all out would be a 'bad thing'.