Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Problem with my K6-2 system and GeForce256

I bought a new GTS, and intended on putting my current 256 in my K6-2 system(K6-2 450, and a Gigabyte GA 5AX (ALI chipset)).

It doesn't work in there

it works perfectly in the other 3 computers I've owned and tried it in(I'm running on it right now), but this thing just won't work.

I tried other vid cards, they work.

power supplies, no good

changing cards aroung, no good

any ideas?

And, since I don't need this card(AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY), anyone want to trade it for a V3 3500?

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

never thought of checking there! Thanks!

However, I saw nothing.

I should probably put more info in here:

This setup failed usually within 3 minutes, but on occasion lasted a bit longer(the first time I switched powersupplies, it went until the first reboot in W2K setup, but on reboot, failed during the memory count).

I eventually decided to try setting up 98 on it, and as my disk was in NTFS, I had to use fdisk(my maxtor setup disk crashed too).

When it asked me about NTFS, right before I pressed Y for large disk support, the screen popped up with random letters on random spots on the screen.

I'm just convinced it's the damned motherboard...but it works with all the other cards I've tried...I'll sell it and see if I can buy a low end PIII system(intel 440 motherboard and PIII 500-600). I know it works on those, as my old Compaq worked fine with it.

Stupid AMD. Stupid Gigabyte. Stupid ALI.

It seems that all the Socket 7 motherboards have to be stupid frown

my FIC PA2013 that I had before this mobo said that it didn't support V3, TNT2 or beyond, G400, or the MAXX.

Now this mobo won't support a GeForce.

I'll call the place I bought it from(Gigabyte doesn't have customer service!?!)...see what they say.

------------------

It came with the Newest BIOS.

I called the place I got it from, and they said they've heard of AGP issues with nvidia cards and basically all the Socket 7 mobo chipsets.

I called a local place, just to see what they said...they said it was a problem with incompatiblity with W2k---but it crashed in the BIOS--no OS was ever loaded onto it.

Morons

I'm either going to sell the Vid card and get something else, which I don't want to do, or sell the mobo and CPU, and try for a PII or P3 system under 600mhz.

Anyone here have a 440bx chipset based mobo and CPU in the 400 to 600 mhz area under $100 they would care to sell off?

------------------

It isn't Nvidia. It's the AGP. Not enough voltage plus whatever other crappy VIA implementation. These have been pretty much fixed in newer VIA mobo's. Some K6 mobo's don't have this prob like my old Soyo SY5-EMA. Heck, My Geforce 2 GTS ran fine in that thing but yeah junk it and get a new mobo. smile

that's really too bad.

since I bought this mobo BRAND NEW in....late november. Over Thanksgiving vacation, in fact. frown

no VIA on this motherboard.

oh well

now I need to find a 440 and a PII or 3

or maybe luck out and find a duallie

that'd make a nice LAN rig smile

and as it stands...assuming this company doesn't back out like gimps and actual profane things, I will be getting a 20 GB hdd (5400 RPM but UDMA 66) for 32* bucks shipped....that'd lessen the blow for the money senselessly wasted on a "new" mobo

and cpu.

*check it out at [h]ardocp

------------------

1: the company happened to be gimps. They claimed the item never existed.

2: problem is now void

I have a Gateway OEM board with an 815 chipset coming(50 bucks), and a CeleryII 633(70) on its way as well.

Now, I have to get this board and CPU off my hands so I'm not completely broke.

------------------