Compatible Support Forums
daveyyy

USB device malfunctioned, only w/ printer (epson)

Hiya, i have an issue with my Epson Style SX200 all in 1 printer.

Basically when i plug this into the USB, i get the following message:

"One of the USB devices attatched to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognise it."

I've been looking at the potential fixes e.g turning the PC off by the main's etc but that didnt work for me. I'm currently on Vista 32bit with a desktop PC with standard 2.0 USB ports and i really have no idea how to fix this. The USB port works for things such as webcam, iPod, anything but the printer.

If anyone has any answers i'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks for reading!

Some quick questions.

Did you install the printer software (drivers) before plugging the printer into the computer?

Did you plug the printer into a usb port on the back of the computer - not a front port?

Did the usb cable come with the printer, or did you buy it separately?

Thanks for the reply Danleff,

Did you install the printer software (drivers) before plugging the printer into the computer?

I've tried multiple ways, i've tried following it by the guide book (that is, installing the drivers up until it comes to the printer driver, then inserting the USB as asked), i've tried turning the printer on with the USB inserted mid-driver installing, i've tried doing them without putting the USB in using the printer device option, i've tried as much as i can, or as much as i could think of/have read.

Did you plug the printer into a usb port on the back of the computer - not a front port?

I've put it in the back yeah, although i've tried front and back. Mouse/keyboard/webcam/ipod seem to work fine on the front ones too though, so i've been switching usb's around and the printer is the only one giving me an issue.

Did the usb cable come with the printer, or did you buy it separately?

It's a seperate one as one wasnt provided with the Epson printer itself, from what i've read this isnt usually an issue when it comes to printer leads but i'm quite the novice so :P.

(edit: Not sure how relevant this is but the lead was from a previous printer which worked fine, just wanted to upgrade to a newer model that's all)

Thanks alot for any help you can provide.

David

Well, I think that this printer needs a USB2 cable, not a USB one. What was the make and model of the old printer? Do you know for sure if the old cable is USB2?

Also, is the computer USB2 capable - has USB2 ports?

The cable has to supply enough power for the printer yo work.

Did you un-install the old printer drivers? This may also cause a conflict when trying to install the new printer. Then try the install, as per the directions. Make sure that the old printer does not not show in the Device Manager.

If this does not work, try a new cable. Make sure it is a USB2 printer cable.

Alternately, you can try an install on another computer and see if the same issue persists. Of so, then the cable most likely is at fault.