Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rohit

how to chnage default ports on linux system

Hi!

SSH listen on port 22,but i want to change it to port 2222.

does any forum member had done this earlier.

pls. help me out.

Rohit

I don't know what version of SSH you're running or what distro you're running it on but I just had a look at a Debian box I have here and in /etc/ssh is a file called ssh_config and in said file is an option that I assume is to change the port SSH listens on. I can't say for sure but my best guess would be if you opened ssh_config, uncommented and changed that setting to read Port 2222, saved the file and then restarted the SSH daemon you'll get the result you want.

Quote:
Hi!

pls. help me out.

Rohit

yes. change the ssh configuration file to set new port then also edit /etc/services file in your linux box to enlist your ssh service to map to port 2222. You can simply copy the format for both tcp and udp lines.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi!

pls. help me out.

Rohit

yes. change the ssh configuration file to set new port then also edit /etc/services file in your linux box to enlist your ssh service to map to port 2222. You can simply copy the format for both tcp and udp lines.

Yep sound good smile

I'm having a similar problem. My distribution is Smoothwall, but for whatever reason they've changed the default ssh port to 222, so as to keep 22 free, i'd like to change it back, but the /etc/services file has ssh on port 22, so how did they change it?

there is also no folder called /etc/shh, so i can't find ssh_config or anything similar. There is also no locate command, which is mighty frustrating...

any help would be appreciated, as I am a bit of linux newbie

Thanks

Marty

Yeah i was a fool

i edited

/usr/local/etc/ssh_config

instead of

/usr/local/etc/sshd_config

and i wondered why it didn't change the port from 222 to 22 (yet when i ran sshd -p 22) it did change (albeit temporarily)

Laters

Marty