Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bparker

USB not recognized..... during printer install

I purchased a printer today for my laptop. During the installation it asked to insert the usb cable and I did and it said " USB device is not recognized". I have contacted the printer support and they are not in until Monday. I need help NOW.... if anyone has any suggestions or knows how i can fix this or IF I can fix it please let me know

Thanks

First, take a deep breath. This forum has multiple posts on this issue. Start with the basics...and give some basic information.

What version of Windows are you using?

What make and model printer are you using?

Did the printer cable come with the printer, or did you have to buy one for it?

If you can, try connecting the printer to a desktop computer, carefully following the installation instructions. Does it work?

If you get the same message, the cable could be faulty.

If it works, the issue may be with the USB ports on the laptop, or there is not enough power at the USB ports of the laptop to power and recognize the printer through Windows.

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Did you try the support faq in the printer site To troubleshoot the problem?

Sometimes the USB ports build up a static charge, or Windows gets confused if you use the same port to connect multiple devices. If nothing else seems to be the issue, try taking the battery out of the laptop - make sure that the AC power is not connected. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds, release it, then put the battery back in..and the AC power supply, then power up the lappy and try installing the printer again.

If still a no go, what does Windows device manager say?