Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dawsonalec

Abit VP6 Windows 2000 Boot Problem

BACKGROUND

I have an Abit VP6 mobo with the latest BIOS and HPT370 controller. All fixed HD are connected to the HPT370 and I have no problems configuring and installing the system in WinME.

PROBLEM

When I install Win2k as a clean installation in all combinations of clean/dual/NTFS/FAT32, the subsequent boot to WIn2k results in teh system hanging up after loading MUP.SYS driver.

ACTION/REPLY REQUESTED

I realize that many of the items in my system are new to karketm and the 686B is also new to market, but I am exteremly dissappointed in Abit VIA and Microsoft for not providing a mobo/chipset that provides BASIC capability. I cannot boot into Win2k. I tried different graphics cards, removing all other PCI cards, changing the HD configuration, all result in the system hanging up at the MUP.SYS file.

I read the FAQ posted on this web site describing how to create a Win2k + SP1, and I assume the same applies to SP2, but the command to extract the SP are Win2k/NT commands. I unfortunately, can only get the VP6 to run in WinME.

Please investigate the problem and provide technical assistance.

I have a VP6 and do not have this problems nor I have I heard of other people with VP6's with this problem. Something is up with your system. Remove everything hardware wise that is not necessary and try to pinpoint the problem. I am EXTREMELY pleased with my VP6.

Thanks! After is series of tweaking the BIOS settings and removing/installing cards, I received an email from someone that suggested that I look at the Intel specs for the 2 P3s I have. After a series of email exchanges, we isolated the problem to the fact that I have two P3s with different Vcore and stepping (whatever that is) specifications. I have a 1.65 and a 1.70 Vcore and a CB0 and CC0 processor. For the two processors to work together, they both must have the same specs. Now knowing this, I went back and read the VP6 manual and looked at the FAQ pages on Abit's web site and it makes reference to this particular problem. I read the FAQ pages before I purchased my VP6, but I guess I really didn't understand what meant. I now have to scramble to figure out how to return or exchange the most recently purchased P3 and attempt to get the P3 with the same specs as my original P3. I have learned an expensive lesson and I will not forget it. If you see other posts with other people having similar problems you might want to pass my experience on. On an addition note, I was actually able to get the VP6 to boot into Win2k after dropping the FSB to 124Mhz. With the exception of the P# problem I encountered, I am please with the performance of the system. I expect that I will be even more pleased when I can run the system at full speed.

The link to the Intel P3 specs is as follows:

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm

Yep, people have forgotten about matching exact processors when building duallies. While not as important as it was in the old days it's still best to have 'em the same. The VP6 IIRC bumps the voltage down to a very low voltage if your running a CB0 & CC0. Hope ABIT releases a new bios soon.

I spoke to the fine folks at Abit today. Unfortunately, the current VP6 will not support different voltage specs. According to the Intel S-Spec, there are no known issues with mixing CB0 and CCO processors. For the VP6 to support different Vcore voltages will require a board redesign. Don't expect them to make a design change any time soon. I suspect that the designers are busy working on DDR board designs.