Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Napalm

Change Drive letters under win2k

Ok, I just finished installing windows 2000 (after installing linux first). However, does anyone know how to change drive letters under win2k? For some odd reason, it picks up my zip drive first, then the CD-ROM, then my Hard drive. So, my hard drive's letter is E instead of C. So can anyone help?

Thanks,

Log in as administrator. Then make sure that you have a disk in the Zip and CD-ROM drives.

Go to Control Panel, Admininstrative Tools, Computer Management. On the left side, find Storage and then Disk Management under that. Right-click on the drive you want to change and pick Change Drive Letter and Path.

You shouldn't need to have disks in your drives.

I have SCSI ZIP, DVD & CD-RW drives.

It always (after a fresh installation) puts them in the order, ZIP E, DVD F & CD-RW G, I want them in the order of DVD, CD-RW and then ZIP.

I use the computer management but have never had to have disks in any of the drives.

BladeRunner: It's probably an IDE thing. For some reason, whenever I try rearranging (IDE) drives that don't have disks in them, they don't show up under Disk Management.

Win2000 won't let you change the drive letter for the system partition AFAIK.

You could do it under Win NT4 but you had to enter the registry after the change and manually edit a gazillion paths in the registry, from E: to C: ...

No idea why it puts your system partition on E: ... maybe somehow because Linux is alredy installed (how many Linux partitions)?

Just one linux partition and the swap file. Thanks for the help ... although I just reformated (and partitioned) my HD. After installing win 2k first, then Linux (I installed linux first then win 2k), Win 2k reconizes it as 'c' drive ... go figure.

Thanks,

GHackmann:

Ah ha, could be an IDE thing.

I must admit I've never had to change drive letters on IDE devices ever, I remember NT4 being a pain if your ZIP drive didn't have a disk in, I just assumed they had fixed it smile

Cheers for that info by the way, will rememebr for future reference.