Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FriedBob

Windows 7 64bit + Promise/Maxtor Ultra 133 TX2

I have a couple of Maxtor branded Promise Ultra 100/133 TX2 cards.

I am currently running Windows 7 64bit, and I have the Promise Vista 64bit 2.0.1.3 driver installed successfully.

However, when I boot with a drive attached to the Promise card, windows hangs on the "starting Windows" screen - before the little animation even starts.

The card has worked fine with Windows XP and Slackware 10-12.

I looked at trying to make sure the BIOS on the card was up to date, but the most recent BIOS is from 2002 or 2003, and requires a floppy drive to install - which this system doesn't have.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to make the drive work? I really need the space.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: FriedBob
I have a couple of Maxtor branded Promise Ultra 100/133 TX2 cards.

I am currently running Windows 7 64bit, and I have the Promise Vista 64bit 2.0.1.3 driver installed successfully.

However, when I boot with a drive attached to the Promise card, windows hangs on the "starting Windows" screen - before the little animation even starts.

The card has worked fine with Windows XP and Slackware 10-12.

I looked at trying to make sure the BIOS on the card was up to date, but the most recent BIOS is from 2002 or 2003, and requires a floppy drive to install - which this system doesn't have.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to make the drive work? I really need the space.

Thank you.

Quick question: I'm running Win 7 64bit as well and am having terrible problems with my ide drives. They disappear. Also, the boot sector on the sata seems to corrupt regularly and I am consistently having to *repair* using win 7 install disk. I have been using computers for 30 years and have been all kinds of tech agent at many companies. I know I am probably doing something wrong with this particular setup - but for the life of me I cannot get this configuration to stabilize.

Here's the question: Where did you find the 64bit driver? I have been on the promise site, and it doesn't appear to be there.