Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JediBaron

Asus V7700 and 3D glasses

I just got myself one of those 7700 Geforce2 GTS's and spent like 2 hours tinkering with the glasses to get them to work right. Thought I could try saving someone else the time.

The first thing I found is that you need to have a monitor that can do at least 1280x960 if you want to get any OpenGl games to run in 3D. If you don't set your OpenGl game to use at least 1280x960, the sterioscopic vision won't even turn on.

After I grabbed another monitor, I tried using it. I kept getting this really bad distortion line in the moving up and down the screen. Thinking that maybe my card couldn't handle the 120Hz refresh rate, I tried lowering it. That's when I found out that any settings below 120 cause the glasses not to blink at all. frown Not to mention it cut off part of the screen when you switched to sterioscopic mode. - Doh!

But I wasn't ready to give up so easily smile. I started tweeking and tweeking. First thing that actually helped a little was setting the D3D advanced settings to not sync the frames. Now I don't think I have to tell anyone that uses Nvidia cards that you should set the Sync to 'Off by default' under the OpenGl settings also, but I'll mention it just in case.

Still, I had distortions. Then I found the setting that fixed the sterioscopic vision in both D3D and OpenGl. Under the OpenGl tab there is an obscure setting that changes the PCI texture size. I set this from the default 5 to the max of 16. Then BLAM!, all sterioscopic vision worked perfect.

Here's the system specs that I got it to work on:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Pro sp1 (running fully PNP w/ ACPI)

Processor: AMD K7 T-Bird 900 w/ 256 Megs PC133

Motherboard: Abit KT7-Raid (Bios WZ01) w/ the Via 4 in 1 (425), Abit Raid drivers beta 3

Hard Drive: 2 X Maxtor 30gig UDMA 100 (striped raid)

Video: Asus 7700 32 meg (Asus Win2k drivers v5.33)

Sound: SB Live 5.1 with remote package

Modem: USR 56K PCI (2977 hardware model :))

Misc: IDE DVD drive and CD Writer, Intellimouse w/ intellipoint 3.2 (ver. 3.20.0.484)

DirectX: 8.0 (4.08.00.0400)

One final note: These video drivers won't work with PowerDVD 3.0, but they do work with PowerDVD 2.55 which is what came with the card (under Asus's name of course :))

L8r