Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnowHawk

Does a Radeon Work with ALi Socket 7 chipset?

Unlikely. Ali chipset isn't a very good one. You may have read a lot of post about "my TNT/geoforce doesn't work under win2k with ali chipset and p5a".

In my system, I use a riva tnt with the lastest agp driver, and settting EXTERNAL CACHE in my bios to disabled. This stops randm crashes.

But why would you install a RADEON in a P5A? You wouln't get such a speed increase. Maybe 10-20 FTS, but not more. When using a 3dcard, the CPU is also important. If your CPU can't send enough fill commmands to your 3d-Card, you'll be wasting your money. So, why not waiting, upgrading to a better CPU, and then, buy a radeon?

PS: An AGP 4X card in an AGP 2x MOBO? Why??

Actually, AGP has been iffy at best. Many tests indicate that AGP 2x is only slightly better than 1x, and 4x is only slightly better than 2x (but the margin is even smaller).

The total bandwidth of AGP is actually quite pathetic when compared to local video memory. AGP was more promising when it was first introduced circa 97 (and video cards only had ~500MB/sec memory). With those early cards AGP 2x was the same bandwidth as the local memory (1:1 ratio). Now, the ratio is 1:6, not to mention the main memory needs to be used for other things as well (sound, AI, etc).

In reality, PCI video cards yield very close to the same performance of their AGP brethren (although hardly anyone releases PCI boards to test).

If you are using a program that requires more memory than present on the video card, you either want to use texture compression, or a lower detail level. AGP texturing limits performance to the extreme.

As for the original question.....

You would likely not see much benefit at lower resolutions. If your CPU is only capable of delivering geometry data at 30fps, then you will never go above 30fps regardless of whichever card you are using.

However, there is a caveat. Geometry data is not resolution dependant. If your CPU can give you 30fps at 640x480, then it can give you 30fps at 1600x1200, ***uming of course that your video card can do 30fps at 1600 resolution.

Granted, this is an over simplification, but don't expect to get too much more speed at lower resolutions. Essentially, you will extend your max playable resolution.

Umm does that mean it will work or not??

Has anyone had random crashing trouble with ATI cards??

All I know is nVIDIA and AMD don't mix....

THE CARD IS FREE

IT is an ATI All-in-wonder RADEON 64mb DDR..

I told my friend to get like a crappier radeon with PCI but now he has to change his MOBO to Asus P5A..

He don't got that much cash!!.

All I need to know is ...will it WORK??

I have a Gigabyte with an ALI chipset...and an ATI All-In-Wonder 128...AGP. Works fine.

but I know the Asus P5 is a less-than-great board....many problems with the video cards from what I've been told.

all you will get is AGP 2x...but it *should* work fine. The one good thing ATI does have is compatibility

------------------

NECESSARY EVIL

--[H]ARD|PC SERVER--

<Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP2 RC2.52, IE5.5 SP1, DX8>

Intel Pentium !!! Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb @ 960 (week 17 Malay)

Alpha PEP66 w/ Delta Black Label 38CFM fan

Asus CUSL2 motherboard(no onboard sound)Rev 1.02 BIOS; rev 1005.001 (Beta)

256MB PC133 SDRAM (1x256 Mushkin Rev2 CAS 2:2:2 5t/7t STRONG @ 160mhz)

SuperMicro 760A Full Tower(Modded for more fans and painted Rustoleum Hammered Black)

SP301-RA 300W Athlon Approved Redundant Cooling Power Supply

IBM 75GXP DTLA-307015 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd & 45GB MAXTOR Diamand Max Plus M54610H6 UDMA/100 7200 RPM hdd

Promise Ultra 100 Controller

7 80mm,3 92mm, and 2 120mm High Output fans(along with 2 80mm in Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans) spewing out well over 1000 CFM

Creative Labs SB Live! X-Gamer running on Liveware 3

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Annhilator Pro GeForce256 DDR on Detonator 6.49

Logitech Itouch Pro Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1) & Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Soundman G1 Powered Speakers & AIWA HPX222 Headphones

D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

Compaq V720 17” (1280x1024) Monitor

Hewlett Packard 660CSE Printer

Iomega 8x4x32 CD-RW & Pioneer 6x DVD/ 32x CD-ROM

Hauppauge WinTV Go

Allied Telesyn AT-FH716-10a 16-Port 10/100 hub

betaLANBOX-1

--[H]ARD|PC LAN briefcase--

<Windows 98SE>

AMD K6-2 450 @ 500

ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink