Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
three

thermal grease question

Just out of curiousity, when I purchased my AOpen AK73 pro mobo with 800MHz T-Bird the local pc shop asked me if I wanted them to place the cpu and HSF onto the mobo, and since I've heard so many horror stories about how fragile the tbirds/durons were I told them to go ahead. However, I did not actually witness the installation, but noticed quite a good bit of thermal grease on the edge of the heatsink, which appears to me like they applied it over the complete cpu instead of just over the core. The pc still boots up fine and the temperature I'm getting are:

Idle: 28~30C

Normal: 32~36 C

Full Load: 42~47 C

This temperature was after placing additional fans to my case since I have a compact case with s***loads of hardware inside.

Anyways, back to the question, would this pose a problem in the long run? Or should I remove the heatsink and clean out the excess thermal grease and just apply a thin layer over the core?

from what ive heard is that less is better. Apply a thin film of grease, and tack glue in 4 corners, then apply hs. There was a site just recently up @ ntcompatible's main page that went through this.

thanks, I read numerous sites that say thin is better. I really don't have any problems, my main concern is will it effect the cpu in the long run. I really don't want to have to remove the heatsink, the clip is really a b***h to get off. I tried already and couldn't get it off the 'gentle' way and don't really want to have to involve pliers to the scene :P

man you sure are quick hehe, thanks, I checked out that site. Oh well, I will go ahead and 'try' to get that heat sink off and remove all that excess gunk. smile

To get the heatsink off easier, use your pc for about an hour.

You should find that the HS will just slide off.

smile

Yak

--