Compatible Support Forums
MandyB

Broadband hardware compatible with Linux?

Hello I have an Eee pc that runs on the Linux operating system. Please could you advise me which broadband hardware in the Uk is compatible with Linux. Ideally I would like a mobile broadband dongle that I can also take abroad anything considered at the moment as I'm getting desperate to get online! Thanks.

You mean a USB Mobile Adapter for a Wireless service like from Verizon or ATT correct ???

As far as I know these are only Windows compatible, perhaps they have some Mac support now.

So what distro of *nix are you running on that Asus machine ???

Asus only seems to indicate some of their models come with XP Home and nothing about the Linux Distro they use, I suppose they leave that up to the user wink

Yes Jmmijo, I did mean a mobile usb adaptor.

Ok thanks Philipp, I'll try the broadband providers and see which ones provide the Huawei dongle....

Originally Posted By: Philipp
http://umtsmon.sourceforge.net

Many Linux distros support 3G/UMTS modems out of the box but some will require that you disable the pin code first. I would get a modem/dongle from Huawei smile

Nice to know Philip, I'm thinking about a netbook myself and wanted to install something other then FreeDOS onto it wink

Although I don't mind a modern/retro machine in the least....