ASUS A7V (modded for raid)

800mb T-Bird

256 cas 2 Kingston mem

2-IBM GXP75 - 30.6gb ata100

EVGA Geforce2 GTS 32mb

Pioneer 115 DVD

Sound Blaster Live! Platinum

Win2k and Win98ME dual boot.

When I run 3DMark2000 Version1.1 on Widows98ME it averages around 7000. But when I run it on win2k professional it averages only around 4800. I am using the latest Detonator drivers and Powerstrip. I didn't think there was going to be that much difference in performance, is this normal or am I overlooking something? I made sure AGP was enabled in win2k and that its at 4x, fastwrites, directx8, latest agp patch etc. Even overclocking with Powerstrip only brings it up a few points.

Thanks!

hmm, nobody has answered this.....possibly, you have shut them up about performance differences...

somebody has to defend this....c'mon wink

what "latest" drivers are you running? In my experience, the 6.47 drivers give the best performance...

Perhaps we should accept that fact that we are dealing with nvidia drivers here? not saying they are bad, but damn, you get different drivers and it feels like you have a different video card. test it with a voodoo 3 or something.

------------------

System Specs:

MSI 694D Pro-A Mobo

Dual Gighz pentium III's

320 meg pc 133 sdram

30 Gig Maxtor Ata-100

Geforce 2 GTS

DVD w/ Decoder Card

Sblive etc etc...

The score I mentioned for win2k in my original post was using the Detonator 7.17 driver. I just tried 6.47 and ran 3DMark2000 again and this time I got scores from 6266 to 6344 in Win2k. Quite a difference from 4800 and almost as good as in Win98ME. Looks like the Detonator drivers are going backwards instead of forwards smile Guess I will stick with the 6.47 drivers for awhile.

Quote:
Originally posted by STi Sev:
3dMark has not been FULLY optimized for 3dmark!!!

say what?

"3dMark has not been FULLY optimized for 3dmark!!"

See the little button there where you can choose different thingies. "Hardware T&L. Software T&l, AMD, P3)

Well. If you choose those then it'll be "optimized" for it.

To explain in baby language run Software T&l on a P3 and run it on an AMD and you can't argue about SSE or 3DNOW.

Quote:
Originally posted by DosFreak:

See the little button there where you can choose different thingies. "Hardware T&L. Software T&l, AMD, P3)

To explain in baby language run Software T&l on a P3 and run it on an AMD and you can't argue about SSE or 3DNOW.

DOS Freak,
Tell me this then. Why did my 3dmark score drop like 5000 points when I installed Windows 2000? I had something like 5030; after win2k--> 28 3dmark score.. and yes I am running the same hardware as with 98..

Quote:

DOS Freak,
Tell me this then. Why did my 3dmark score drop like 5000 points when I installed Windows 2000? I had something like 5030; after win2k--> 28 3dmark score.. and yes I am running the same hardware as with 98..

1. Need to install VIA drivers if VIA mobo.

2. Need to install 6.34+ drivers. 6.47 for a little more speed at a slight loss of stability but still very stable. 7.17 for the fastest speed, very unstable.

3. Install latest bios.

4. Perform necessary bios changed for stability. Probably need to disable AGP 4x and or sidebandding and fast writes. (Probably not necessary but I'm haven't been keeping up with Via mobo's lately)

5. Download Microsoft Via AGP fix.

Well, I do know why mine doesn't score as high in Win2k as Win98. Any progam that uses directx in fullscreen on my mchine will cap out at a 60fps frame rate. Programs with OpenGL won't after you shut off that options and Directx programs that run in a Window don't cap either.

I've never found a way around it frown

Jedi, are you sitting at a 60Hz monitor refresh rate at the time? It sounds like it. If it is just a D3D thing, then use DXDiag:

Start>run>dxdiag

Go to the "more help" tab, and then the override button. Now you can put in a refresh rate more suitable to the resolutions that you work with. Seeing as I only mess with 800x600 and 1024x768, I use 100Hz as that is what my monitor can handle at both resolutions. Make sure to put in a value that will work for all the resolutions you plan to use. Or just get the nvrefreshfix utility at www.tweakfiles.com and set your desired refresh rate for each resolution/bit depth combination.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

hehe - damn!

I've tried all those tweek utilities and stuff before and none helped. But I just realized that I'd never tried that override value. DOH! - <smacks self in forehead>. The override setting worked - 100fps in DirectX now smile

Thanks

Quote:
1. Need to install VIA drivers if VIA mobo.
2. Need to install 6.34+ drivers. 6.47 for a little more speed at a slight loss of stability but still very stable. 7.17 for the fastest speed, very unstable.
3. Install latest bios.
4. Perform necessary bios changed for stability. Probably need to disable AGP 4x and or sidebandding and fast writes. (Probably not necessary but I'm haven't been keeping up with Via mobo's lately)
5. Download Microsoft Via AGP fix.

Dosfreak,
I'm not running VIA. I lowered AGP 4x to AGP 1x, i disabled fast write,had directx7a, then directx8, athlon 800mhz w/ Asus K7M Mobo, running 6.3.1 Official Det. Drivers and yet I STILL get low numbers in 3dmark. A lot of my friends told me it's win2k, since most of them are running pretty much identical setup as mine, except windows 98.

:::How'se that for 'proving words' (not directed to u dosfreak)

[This message has been edited by STi Sev (edited 01 December 2000).]

hehe I did know nVidia can play 3DMark2000 all that well

Quote:
Originally posted by STi Sev:

Dosfreak,
I'm not running VIA. I lowered AGP 4x to AGP 1x, i disabled fast write,had directx7a, then directx8, athlon 800mhz w/ Asus K7M Mobo, running 6.3.1 Official Det. Drivers and yet I STILL get low numbers in 3dmark. A lot of my friends told me it's win2k, since most of them are running pretty much identical setup as mine, except windows 98.

:::How'se that for 'proving words' (not directed to u dosfreak)

I got awful scores using the 6.3.1 drivers also. Try using 6.4.7 or the new 6.4.9 drivers. My score went from around 4800 to around 6500. Also get Powerstrip and make sure AGP is on etc. I use the final DirectX8. I tried the 7.17 drivers and it was much slower on my system and had artifacts while running "The Sims" and "Age of Empires2" would only work in 800x600. I'm using 6.4.9 now and it seems to be working fine. When I run 3Dmark2000 on the same system with WIDOWS1898ME I get around 7000 so the Win2k scores are not to far off. Also, Win98ME seems unstable on my system with lots of weird lockups that don't occur running Win2K. I did have problems with my Soundblaster Live! Platinum under Win2k even with LiveWare3 for win2k. I ended up using a cheapy Yamaha sound card for now and its very stable. The Live! card caused lockups and crashs when running Winamp and other sound apps for any length of time.