Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buk

What's the best webcam for RedHat 9?

I would like to know if there is a webcam that works for RedHat 9 right out of the box, with no extra configuration, no need for manual driver installation.

Thank you,

Quote:
I would like to know if there is a webcam that works for RedHat 9 right out of the box, with no extra configuration, no need for manual driver installation.

Thank you,

I just got and use a Logitech Quick Cam Express (USB) and it works like a charm in Mandrake with GnomeMeeting. It is chech too.

I know that Mandrake recognizes it. Mandrake is very comprehensive in hardware recognition. It's real amazing!

However, I would like to know if there's a webcamera that could be recognized like that, by RedHat 9.

Thank you.

Quote:
I know that Mandrake recognizes it. Mandrake is very comprehensive in hardware recognition. It's real amazing!

However, I would like to know if there's a webcamera that could be recognized like that, by RedHat 9.

Thank you.

As long as USB is working correctly in RH, it should. Does RH have USB Viewer ? Mandrake has this, and it tells you any information on your USB hardware when you plug it in. Once I saw it in USB Viewer, I just installed the GnomeMeeting Package

I guess we are diverting from the main point... anyways, yes I have usbview and it indicates the presence of a camera, although it does not specify which camera is. It provides the following information:

Camera

Speed: 12Mb/s (full)

USB Version: 1.10

Device Class: ff(vend.)

Device Subclass: ff

Device Protocol: ff

Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8

Number of Configurations: 1

Vendor Id: 046d

Product Id: 0870

Revision Number: 1.00

Config Number: 1

Number of Interfaces: 1

Attributes: 80

MaxPower Needed: 90mA

Interface Number: 0

Name: (none)

Alternate Number: 0

Class: ff(vend.)

Sub Class: 0

Protocol: 0

Number of Endpoints: 2

Endpoint Address: 81

Direction: in

Attribute: 1

Type: Isoc

Max Packet Size: 0

Interval: 1ms

Endpoint Address: 82

Attribute: 3

Type: Int.

Max Packet Size: 1

Interval: 16ms

Alternate Number: 1

Max Packet Size: 1023

There's no driver for that camera in RedHat 9 as it is in Mandrake and I'm afraid that usbview cannot help to provide that driver...

So, back to my question again, I would like to know what webcamera is recognized by RedHat 9 rightaway, without the need of installing a driver and do extra configuration. Just as the way Mandrake does.

Thank you,

Quote:
I guess we are diverting from the main point... anyways, yes I have usbview and it indicates the presence of a camera, although it does not specify which camera is. It provides the following information:

Camera
Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
USB Version: 1.10
Device Class: ff(vend.)
Device Subclass: ff
Device Protocol: ff
Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
Number of Configurations: 1
Vendor Id: 046d
Product Id: 0870
Revision Number: 1.00

Config Number: 1
Number of Interfaces: 1
Attributes: 80
MaxPower Needed: 90mA

Alternate Number: 0

Max Packet Size: 0

Alternate Number: 1

Max Packet Size: 1023

There's no driver for that camera in RedHat 9 as it is in Mandrake and I'm afraid that usbview cannot help to provide that driver...

So, back to my question again, I would like to know what webcamera is recognized by RedHat 9 rightaway, without the need of installing a driver and do extra configuration. Just as the way Mandrake does.

Thank you,

I get the same thing with my Logitech, it doesn't say it is a Logitech. Just ignore it. If you see it in USB Viewer, then it has been detected it and added it to the list of USB Devices. When you install GnomeMeeting, you will see detects it and you have video, audio, and you can talk to others online. Great thing about USB smile No drivers, no extra configuration. I got this Webcam because it is the most compatible with most distros, and it is is cheap.

Gnomemeeting doesn't recognize the camera under RedHat 9.

Gnomemeeting recognizes the camera under Mandrake 9.1

Quote:
Gnomemeeting doesn't recognize the camera under RedHat 9.
Gnomemeeting recognizes the camera under Mandrake 9.1

One thing you didn't mention was the type of WebCam you are currently trying to setup in RH ?

I'm not trying to setup any camera.

I'm trying to know what USB webcam can be installed and used with RedHat 9 with no need to setup or install drivers, i.e. that could be recognized by RedHat 9 rightaway. Plug and Play.

I know for sure that USB Logitech Quickcam cannot. It demands to download and install a driver.

Quote:
I'm not trying to setup any camera.

I'm trying to know what USB webcam can be installed and used with RedHat 9 with no need to setup or install drivers, i.e. that could be recognized by RedHat 9 rightaway. Plug and Play.

I know for sure that USB Logitech Quickcam cannot. It demands to download and install a driver.

Why were you cutting and pasting a bunch of USB info then ? I would check the HWCL at RH then or do a google search on the Forums, you might find your answer there. I am only trying to help you solve this problem smile Just out of curiousity, if you are aware how well Mandrake runs, why are you still using Rh ? I know a few ppl running RH, and thier lives are not much better, you would be better off running Slackware or SuSE.

Why did I copied/pasted that bunch of USB info?

Well... I'm not sure if you understood what I asked in this topic. Let me "rewind the tape"...

I asked what's the best webcamera that could be recognized by RedHat 9 out of the box, with no need to download or install drivers. Then you answered that I should use Mandrake. I said that I know about Mandrake being more comprehensive in terms of hardware recognition. Then you suggested me to run usbview and stated that if usbview would find something then the camera was running, I copied and pasted that bunch of USB info to show you that it was recognized by usbview but, pay attention, the camera was not working in RedHat 9. The camera was in need of a driver. Conclusion? Usbview has nothing to do with hardware working. In other words, if a USB would be recognized by usbview but still it woul not run if there is no driver. I just wanted to make that clear for you, is that OK?

I know all the distributions that you mentioned. As I said, I know that Mandrake is the most comprehensible in terms of hardware recognition.

If someone asks my opinion of what is the best Linux distro to install, I always recommend Mandrake for it is the best user-friendly Linus distro.

However, I need to use RedHat 9 and will not deploy Mandrake because you and I or someone else think it's the best distro. When helping people, we should not be biased.

This whole discussion on what is the best Linux distribution is quite like discussing religion. Each one has his/her own faith and I don't dare to argue about that, not to mention to waste my time. Perhaps I can do that in my next reincarnation, however, I do not believe in reicarnation, so...

For the ones interested in knowing what is the best webcam for RedHat 9 that doesn't need driver installation, I would suggest to have a look in the directory:

/lib/modules/**********/kernel/drivers/usb (where ********** is the kernel version, e.g., in my case, 2.4.20-13.9).

In that directory, ls command would show a few files with extension ".o" and some of those files are module drivers that would enable webcameras that work with those drivers with no need of driver installation, right out of the box.

I searched a bit and found a few webcameras like the following:

For ov511.o module driver:

Creative Webcam III, D-Link DSB-C300 and C100, MediaForte MV300, Avermedia webcam and Ezonics EZ Cam II.

For konicawc.o module driver:

Intel Create and Share Camer Pack

For hid.o module driver:

Kensington (not sure which model)

I hope that helps. That's the kind of answer I expected...

I will not check this topic again, so don't waste your time asking me questions here.

Have a good one...