Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

W2K Start-up screen

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the start-up screen for W2K. If so please attach links or instructions.

Thanks.

No way. Unlike Win9x, which use a logo.sys file as startup screen, Windows 2000 loads the logo from NTOSKRNL.EXE, so you can't really change the logo at startup.

I think I've read on this board that it can be done if you edit your ntoskrnl.exe

I've edited my BIOS to include a picture on post, and I know there was something a few weeks back on how to edit your start button(without using an external application like tclock).

I know why Ronin wants to do this--and I'm interested in it too...we're both trying to find a way to use the black Windows Codename:Whistler startup...but have it edited to say Windows 2000 (then the version)

You might use Resource Hacker (http://rpi.net.au/~ajohnson/resourcehacker/) to examine the ntoskrnl.exe file. You'd have to do something about Windows File Protection, though.

Interestingly, the server family logos are in the ntoskrnl.exe file that comes with WinPro. Actually, I guess that makes sense. The two installs must be nearly identical except for configuration. Also, the welcome.exe contains some startup bitmaps.

Regards,

Jim

Pro,Server,AS are extremely similar. Just do a Windiff on the CD's. Mostly all the files are the same.

So is anyone going to be "brave" enough to replace the bitmap in ntoskrnl.exe with a homegrown graphic???