Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
papabill

Device drivers w/Ubuntu

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04-1 on a machine, and the video and audio are not working properly. The video will not reach it's fullest resolution, and I cannot make the audio what it's supposed to.

I have the motherboard support CD with all the windoze drivers on it, but don't know how to use them to work in Linux.

Any advise or suggestions.

Thanks

Windows drivers do not work with Linux. Ubuntu (Linux) uses it's own drivers to make hardware work.

Without knowing what make/model system that you have, it is hard to guess what the issue might be with the video and sound.

If you are using as self built system, posting the motherboard make and model would help folks troubleshoot the issues.

Also, you are using an older version of Ubuntu, so if you have a relatively new system, then this may be an issue.

the Ubuntu wiki page for your version may be of some help to get you started. It is located here.

Try the New to Ubuntu 8.04 LTS? page first.

Post what you have done to try to get the resolution changed.

Have you turned up the volume to 100%? Post what exactly that you have tried, so folks can get an idea exactly where you are at.

I have cleaned off the machine and installed 9.04, and still have the problems I had before. I could post my lspci if that would help.

Sure,that will help. But could you explain what exact audio problems that you are having? No audio at all, or some applications not working with sound...?

With the video, what have you tried already to adjust the resolution?

Are you using onboard video or an add-on video card? If an add-on, which make and model?

Posting what make motherboard would help, as well. This way we can check compatibility with Ubuntu.