Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kapleau

installing Eclipse on Linux

has anyone tried to install Eclipse on Linux? i'm running RedHat 9 and have downloaded and installed the java 1.3.1_08 sdk and have downloaded and unzipped the 2.1 build of Eclipse - an IDE for Java and, apparently, c and c++.

the java jre is installed in /usr/java and eclipse is installed in /opt/eclipse. i've tried running the program using the following command:

/opt/eclipse/eclipse -data /home/kapleau/workspace -ws motif

but i get the following error:

error while loading shared libraries: libXm02: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

when i go to the /opt/eclipse filesystem the libXm02 file is there. i get the same error message when i add the location of the java vm (by adding -vm /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_08/bin java to the previous command).

i get the same error message when signed in as kapleau or root. i've searched online but everything i find says to do exactly what i've already done. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I don't know which version of Eclipse you downloaded - You should download the gtk binary version and try to run it without the "-ws motif" option. And you only need the runtime, not the SDK of Eclipse. And I don't know if it depends on a more recent java version ( 1.4.1 is the stable version ). And as long as you are not going to develop in java you only need the java runtime ( JRE ).

However the work is worth it IMO - Eclipse is a really nice IDE. Don't forget that you need the eclipse-jdt ( Java ) and / or the elipse-cdt ( C / C++ ) plugins to develop for these languages. You can find them on the eclipse homepage. But try to get eclipse to work without the plugins first, then install the plugins.

Hi there, last week I needed to set up a development workstation w/ RedHat 9 and eclipse 2.1. I had troubles first trying with an IBM 1.3.1 jdk -- did not work. Then I got Sun's 1.4.1_03 and everything run as a miracle. Plug-ins like Tomcat integration, etc. If you still need help, drop me a message at yd at troyer.co.at.

after getting some help from yessan i realized that my PATH environment was not being saved when i exited the current bash session so i did some searching online and edited my .bash_profile so the path to java is loaded every time (just open the .bash_profile - found in /home/yourUsername - in any text editor and save it. in my case i added /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03/bin to the PATH statement). once i logged in again i was able to run eclipse without any command line options. i even added a new launcher to the desktop so i can double-click on eclipse icon to start it up. smile

Can any one give me the Detailed instruction on how to install Eclipse IDE (for C++) on Red Hat Linux 5.

I would highly appreciate you if you email the stuff to rpraveenkumardcb@gmail.com

I am new in linux, 20 years in Windows and DOS.

How do you open a new program?

I downloaded several, but I can install them

Apreciate any help.

a ruky