• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kapleau

kapleau

stranger

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 10:16 AM

has anyone tried to install Eclipse on Linux? i'm running RedHat 9 and have downloaded and installed the java 1.3.1_08 sdk and have downloaded and unzipped the 2.1 build of Eclipse - an IDE for Java and, apparently, c and c++.

the java jre is installed in /usr/java and eclipse is installed in /opt/eclipse. i've tried running the program using the following command:
/opt/eclipse/eclipse -data /home/kapleau/workspace -ws motif

but i get the following error:
error while loading shared libraries: libXm02: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

when i go to the /opt/eclipse filesystem the libXm02 file is there. i get the same error message when i add the location of the java vm (by adding -vm /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_08/bin java to the previous command).

i get the same error message when signed in as kapleau or root. i've searched online but everything i find says to do exactly what i've already done. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

#2 Norman

Norman

stranger

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 06:12 AM

I don't know which version of Eclipse you downloaded - You should download the gtk binary version and try to run it without the "-ws motif" option. And you only need the runtime, not the SDK of Eclipse. And I don't know if it depends on a more recent java version ( 1.4.1 is the stable version ). And as long as you are not going to develop in java you only need the java runtime ( JRE ).

However the work is worth it IMO - Eclipse is a really nice IDE. Don't forget that you need the eclipse-jdt ( Java ) and / or the elipse-cdt ( C / C++ ) plugins to develop for these languages. You can find them on the eclipse homepage. But try to get eclipse to work without the plugins first, then install the plugins.

#3 ydamyanov

ydamyanov

stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 10:57 PM

Hi there, last week I needed to set up a development workstation w/ RedHat 9 and eclipse 2.1. I had troubles first trying with an IBM 1.3.1 jdk -- did not work. Then I got Sun's 1.4.1_03 and everything run as a miracle. Plug-ins like Tomcat integration, etc. If you still need help, drop me a message at yd at troyer.co.at.

#4 kapleau

kapleau

stranger

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 10:49 PM

after getting some help from yessan i realized that my PATH environment was not being saved when i exited the current bash session so i did some searching online and edited my .bash_profile so the path to java is loaded every time (just open the .bash_profile - found in /home/yourUsername - in any text editor and save it. in my case i added /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03/bin to the PATH statement). once i logged in again i was able to run eclipse without any command line options. i even added a new launcher to the desktop so i can double-click on eclipse icon to start it up. smile

#5 Praveen Raj

Praveen Raj

stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

Can any one give me the Detailed instruction on how to install Eclipse IDE (for C++) on Red Hat Linux 5.
I would highly appreciate you if you email the stuff to rpraveenkumardcb@gmail.com

#6 Viajerofrecuente

Viajerofrecuente

stranger

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

I am new in linux, 20 years in Windows and DOS.
How do you open a new program?
I downloaded several, but I can install them
Apreciate any help.
a ruky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq