Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KinetiK

Athlon A7V and W2K Initial Installation Difficulties (crashy

Hello!

I have been struggling to install W2K on my friends PC for a number of days now and have yet to find a solution. I have a bare bones installation of Win98SE on the c: partition and I want to install W2K on the D partition.

The problem is this: Whenever I get to the W2K installation blue screen, and the PC tells me that it is checking hardware, i keep getting the same error: "STOP -- (a whole mess of error numbers) -- INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE".

The MB, as you know, has a Promise ATA100 controller on the MB. With the 1004C bios, I am able to disable the BIOS checking and I have. But I am still getting this error, even if I press F6 during startup to detect the external SCSI / RAID controller.

Has anyone else had a problem with W2K installs and the 1004C bios update?

Looking forward to your responses,

KinetiK

is the hard drive that you want to install to plugged into the ata 100 or the the other controler. If it is plugged into the ata 100 controler you must supply the promise drivers to it from the get go. I just recenly set up a computer on the a7v and once the ata 100 drivers were installed everything worked great.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Dual Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Millennium Final

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

256 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card

Matrox Millennium PCI (for second monitor)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive

MS Optical Mouse

Hi,

I currently have the hard drive plugged into the ATA66 IDE controller (that is, the NON-ATA100 one).

I installed win98se on the ata66 controller, and then started an install of W2K. It crashed a number of times as i have indicated above. As an experiment, I changed the drive over to the ATA100 controller and tried to install w2k from there. w2k would say that it couldn't find the install files etc and crash. I had to go back to ATA66.

I'm at a total loss now. =(

Thanks for your help thusfar, though!

KinetiK

Windows 2000 doesn't actually support ATA 100 controllers and drives properly. It will run them at ATA 66 speeds. There is a Win2k patch available (but not to the public). I'm in the process of getting MS to send it to me.

These files I would suspect will update the existing Win2k drivers to support ATA 100. It probably won't help in your case though.

When you are installing Win2k, are you doing it by booting from the CD or running the upgrade from inside Win98?

Try booting from the CD (if you haven't already), and seeing how you get on.

Oh no! The cd only install didn't help things much I'm afraid... infact, it appears to have messed up my HD really really badly. I have a 20GB IBM Deskstar that is showing up in the W2K install screen as an 82GB monster.

I take it that this isn't normal.

/me the NT/W2K newbie hides from the Gods of NTdom

hmmm... ok do u have 2 drives? or do u have 1 drive w/ 2 partitions?

if you have 2 drives make sure that 1 is set to slave. not sure, but i think that may cause problems.

if you have 1 drive make sure ur not installing both os's to the same partition.

i have an A7V as well, but i haven't tried installing any OS on it yet. but before this i had an MVP3 w/ K6-III-450.

when i installed windows, i first deleted the partition w/ fdisk. then i let win98 boot from the cd. it asked what size of partition i wanted. i told it about 5 gigs. it created it, then installed the os. after that i installed all my drivers and crap, and it was working fine.

then i installed Win2k. i let it boot from the CD as well, and when it asked how much space it could have for it's partition, i let it have the rest of the drive. i made the partition NTFS. and it finished it's set up. but i had to take out all the cards except video, or else the install would hang.

that's really all i can think of. like i said, i havent installed win2k straight from the A7V yet. :-