Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Full Tower Owners (especially SuperMicro 750 or 760) please

I'm looking at doing away with 2 computers, and just souping up my Cusl2/800eb...and I'll need a new case for the additional IDE parts. I've convinced myself to get a SuperMicro 760A...as I've read good reviews about it's little brother, the 750, and it will suit my needs and allow plenty of cooling options.

I'm asking for any comments that you can give me...anything that might be useful, or any recommendations on a case I might find for under $150

I am using the 750A with a 400 Watt power supply and I LOVE IT!! Plenty of room for fans. Includes a large fan which blows directly on my processors. Very, very nice case. I highly recommend it.

Only one problem though. This case is HUGE! Very tall case, other than that this thing is great, with plenty of room for all of your goodies and proper ventilation! ; )

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

Neither size nor noise are issues to me. The bigger the badder, the louder the cooler.

I just need to know this is as high quality as my credit card will allow.

Should I put Casters on it, or leave it as is? I don't move it around often(just when i'm upgrading) enough to need casters...but if the case itself is almost 40 pounds....

What's your recomendation? Locking casters?

The 760A has worked great for me. It does have a few odd points, but it works great, and I like the idea of a redundant cooling power supply.

Does this mean that you royally screwed up the side of your case trying to cut that 120mm fan hole? smile

Just go buy a Tornado 2000 from http://www.3dcool.com. It's tall, it's roomy, and it already has the fans in it.

Later.

ByronT <- questioning if INFERNO ever stops in his quest for bigger/better/faster!

smile

I've not touched my A top smile

yes. Bigger, badder, faster, more stable, and maybe even [censored]ier(anyone know of any women that would be impressed by a big case? Send them my way :P )

I thought about the 2000....

But I just want a FULL TOWER...that's under 200 dollars smile

I can get the 760 with a redundant cooling supply for 167 shipped(once I figure out what my bank has shoved up their butts for my credit card.

I want 1 computer. not 3 smile So I need more slots. If you figure I have 3 harddrives, 1 floppy, 3 CDROMS, and a slot for my iPanel...

That comes out to 4 slots...filling up my case...I want a few more spots open smile

And as for case mods....I intend to paint it black...and MAYBE redo a sidepanel so it's clear (see [H]ARD OCP for examples).

I have a case to practice on... smile I'm not THAT stupid. just that stupid. wink

I have owned a SC750A with included Sparkle 300 watt power supply since February 1999 and I like it.

I only have three of the six 5.25 inch bays filled though so it is really bigger than I need.

I bought an InWin Q500 full tower with included 300 watt power supply for a second computer system which is slightly smaller with five 5.25 inch bays, cheaper, and more practical for a home computer.

I recommend that you find the best deal on any computer case with a Web retailer like http://www.mychaseshop.com or http://www.onvia.com where you can get free shipping since full tower cases are heavy.

closest place by me sold it for 209 plus shipping and tax...

I bought the 760a this evening for 167 dollars WITH SHIPPING

Quick question:

This has a nonremoveable motherboard tray...how do I install it onto the board(don't say screw it in--I realize that)? Is there some way I can remove it(by screws) and install it more easily? My main concern is the points closest to the PCI slots...which are hard to impossible to install with the washers(yes I use them).

Donald2b - where did you get the 400W power supply from? I've been looking for something beefier for a while now - could you point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Damien.

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 03 October 2000).]

Damien,

I purchased my case with a 400 watt power supply. It was an option from the local place where I purchased my case. I haven't looked for them online, but I am sure that they would be somewhat easy to find. I will take a look around and let you know what I find out. wink

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

I think I might be getting an AT(150 or better) power supply along with the ATX 300, and use that just for fans and the such(neon lights, bells and whistles, and a cappucino maker)

I'll answer a few questions here:

First, the iPanel does not take a slot - it only sits in the front of a slot. So it can be in front of a device that doesn't need a faceplate opening - such as a hard drive.

Second, PC Power and Cooling makes some of the highest rated power supplies in the business - also note that they're more expensive. But in terms of quality, of the 100 or so ATX power supplies that I've dealt with, I've had Enlights fail on me, SuperMicros fail on me, and Antecs fail on me. But I have never had a PC Power and Cooling Supply fail on me. http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com

Third, the only downfall of the above PSes is that they're *only* 10 Amp - and you really need a 12 Amp PS for the fun stuff like Peltiers.... (Not that I overclock, or run Peltiers... - I've got a 933, I don't need no stinking overclock... smile

Later!

Here's how my system is intended to be:

Motherboard

Lots of fans

ipanel

3 harddrives

3 cdrom drives

1 floppy

and room for a fanbus.

I don't have that with my case...I only have 4 5.25...so between cdroms and ipanel, it's filled. Where does my fanbus go?

I'll need a UDMA 100 controller card for the cd rom drives probably...

depending on how I want to set everything up...

and if I get my Athlon system sold, I'll only have 2 cd roms.

Just buy one of those mini-refridgerators - and then you won't need a stinking fanbus. (And it'd probably be cheaper!)

You do realize that no matter what kind of system you build, it will be obsolete (in terms of latest/greatest) in approximately 6 months. Make that 2 weeks... smile

The case has been out since 98. It's obsolete.

the PIII 800eb was obsolete when the 850 came out...months ago.

my 6x DVD was obsolete last year when I got it with my Compaq

my 4x2x24 was inferior to the 4x4x24 when I bought it.

the 256 chip of PC133 ram is inferior to 512 and RDRAM and DDRAM.

My video card is obsolete to GeForce 2 GTS and Ultras

My Live card has been out for months...

Everything is obsolete, except my motherboard(I know of no single processor motherboard based off the 815e that beats teh CUSL2).

I'm not looking for top of the line...I'm looking for longevity....I want this motherboard for another year...adn between overclocking and new processors, I think I'm set until next summer.

And fanbuses just look bad half the time. I'll just keep my fans on all the time, like I do now.

hrmmm... i dont understand. how can a Case be obsolete? as long as it is ATX, and has a decent power supply it's good right? (besides cooling, which is just dependant one what you need.)

my second computer is a K6-2-400, and it's case once housed a dx4-100. it's at, so it's basically obsolete, but it took about 7 or so years.

Doesn't the Pentium IV requre a new form factor?

This case has lasted that long and is still that expensive,that tells me something. It's a good case. It's made it's second iteration...but outwardly it is the same.

I'll be happy with it smile

well you could always get a new power supply if u needed to. i dont quite understand how they could force any certain form factor on you.

i think you'll be fine with ur case... smile

Got another Question:

This has the System Intrusion switch, but I see nothing to keep it set?

What did everyone do to keep the switch closed?