Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
clutch

So, how do I get the UT2003 Demo to run?

First, I thought I had the right nVidia drivers for my GF2 Pro loaded during installation, but now I don't know. And I don't know if I have 3D acceleration enabled. Now, I installed the demo and all I get is the splash screen, no game. It's installed in /usr/local/games/ut2003demo, and the permissions are opened up to everyone. It will not run in my user account nor in root.

Update, in trying to get the newest drivers install my xserver will no longer start. So, there's another problem I would be more than happy to have someone address.

Quote:
Update, in trying to get the newest drivers install my xserver will no longer start. So, there's another problem I would be more than happy to have someone address.

This sounds like you installed the wrong drivers.

1) Remove the drivers:

rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX-XXXX.i386.rpm (Replace XX with the version number)
rpm -e NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-XXXX.rhXXup_X.X.X_X.i386.rpm

XFree should work again.

2) Download and run NVchooser http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-3123/NVchooser.sh to find out which drivers you need

I tried to run the NVChooser, and it wouldn't launch as I didn't seem to know whatever switches it needs to get going. In any case, the trying to remove the drivers using "rpm -e" would only tell me that the kernel drivers weren't installed (which they were), and running "rpm -U" would tell me that they were already installed (which I knew). So I decided to do a fresh install of RH 7.3 on this box since it's one that I was only learning on anyway. Honestly, getting things to run in Linux is a ridiculous pain in the a$$.

Here's the error I get running NVchooser

NVchooser.sh: line 315: syntax error near unexpected token `elif'

NVchooser.sh: line 315: `elif [ \( "$distro" = "mdk" -a "$version" -ge 82 \) ]; 'hen

Any ideas what that means?

OK, I am about to do my 3rd install, as the last 2 have been completely broken by the nVidia drivers. All they do is whine and complain about symbols, and I have no idea what the fuk they are talking about. The NVchooser does not work, and I have tried the RPMs, the tarballs, and even making my own with the source code (which complained about not finding some other files). I have been doing all of this while using the README from the drivers, and while it seems fairly complete it's completely worthless to me since the drivers never load. I got them to sort of install once using the --force option, but when tried using -e to remove them it claimed they weren't installed, and when you try to install them it claimed that they were already there. So, does anybody here have any idea wtf is going on?

Got it running now (needed a sym link to the source code under /usr/src), but I would like to know how to benchmark it. Also, it seems "windowed" but I know it isn't, any ideas on how I can get it running full screen?

Supposedly the OGL ver of UT has less graphics quality than the D3D. I find this likely since Epic has always focused more on their D3D than on OGL. Haven't seen for myself yet tho.

Oddly enough, it started showing up in full screen at 8x6 later on, and has stayed that way ever since. It looks incredible, but the framerate is a bit slow (GF2 Pro with my P3 933, I didn't think it was *that* slow of a PC) so I have been trying to find out how to benchmark it. I can do it in WinXP with "benchmark.exe", but I can't seem to find a "benchmark.sh" or anything similar in the Linux version.