Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

Netscape & Mozilla display awful fonts

First again, mwhaaa!

Anyway...I will post all the problems I encountered with different distributions/hardware/software hoping that someone can help out.

I tried it on Redhat 7.3 and Suse 8.0, both Netscape and Mozilla (1.0 downloaded from the web) display the fonts awfully on many webpages. Either too small, or text is out of positioning (rarely, but annoying). Which fonts should I use, because I tried all the default fonts that came with the distro and still no good. Even if KDE is using antialiased fonts for the desktop, the text on webpages and such is still very low quality.

I was looking at it earlier, but I postponed the dload until I reboot in *nix. I still had to play some CS smile

Mandrake has a neat feature whereby you can import the truetype fonts from your Windows installation and use those in Linux which will help alleviate this problem but I don't think Red Hat offers anything similar...

The fonts are a good deal better than they used to be, but I would like to find out more about Admiral's suggestion. Anyone else know if RH can do this?

it's been one year i left my linux partition untouched.... coz i some how crashed it... libraries all messed up, X cannot be started no matter how i modify the settings...even the 'man' command cannot be executed laugh

So... the font still looks like that? nothing improved?

hey palos, i've read somewhere that the WineX (or so called windows emulator) seems can run CS in linux... y don't give it a try

I personally think that with some hacking (a font rendering quality hack) X displays truetype even nicer than w2k... But that's my own opinion. For your reference: my desktop some time ago.

It does help to do some fiddling with all the X-related stuff (X itself, window manager, freetype, fonts, etc.) to get it all in perfect shape though laugh

Shoikan, can u post a walkthrough for n00bs on how to enable and fiddle with all the options? smile The Tips&Tricks section is still a virgin, you might be the lucky one to open it up, muha!

Quote:
Shoikan, can u post a walkthrough for n00bs on how to enable and fiddle with all the options? smile The Tips&Tricks section is still a virgin, you might be the lucky one to open it up, muha!

Will do... However, how complicated do you want it? Also, I am a 'slackie', with a little more affinity with the CLI than the average Mandrake user....

Well...i tried to install the SourceRPM of the Webfonts package and I get the following errors:

rpm --rebuild webfonts-1-3.src.rpm

webfonts-1-3.src.rpm: No such file or directory

rpm -i webfonts-1-3.src.rpm

error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

I cannot find out how to install the Kernel sources in RH7.3, running the 2.4.18-5 b.t.w

Quote:
rpm --rebuild webfonts-1-3.src.rpm
webfonts-1-3.src.rpm: No such file or directory

I had no problems with this package under Red Hat 7.3. You need to run 'rpm' from the directory where the file is. Please try it again smile

Quote:
rpm -i webfonts-1-3.src.rpm
error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

No, that doesn't work. You need to rebuild the webfonts package first.

Well, im back to Mandrake 8.2 now...still can't install the source rpm...i think im on the right way tho..will post later

Quote:
im back to Mandrake 8.2 now...

If you're able (it involves mounting your Windows partition which can be difficult if its not FAT32) run drakfont and import the TrueType fonts directly from your Windows installation. This assumes a Windows installation is present of course...

Did the Drakfont stuff, I see some windows fonts but i cannot select them from Mozilla Font menu for example.

And btw, i installed successfully the webfonts srcRPM package. What now? Does it take some font dir editing or such?

Beautiful smile I fixed it...

Flash in Mozilla 1.0 works perfectly too...