Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Goronok

IRQ Questions

I have noticed ever since I installed win 2k on my system (infinite number of times better than 98) that every pci device likes to sit on irq 11. I downloaded the first service pack and all the other stuff microsoft wants you to download, but they still sit on irq 11. one of my friends said it is supposed to do this for some reason, but i dont exactly buy that. I was wondering if anyone else had any info on this subject. When I was running 98 and i would install a new device, and it took an irq another device was using it would automatically freeze. Now I have 5 pci devices on irq 11 and the system runs like a champ. I was just curious as to why it does this. Thanks

they are probably all sharing the same IRQ, it won't make a difference. Simply that the computer don't have enough IRQ's for every single device, they share the same ones sometimes I guess.

------------------

Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce.

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 03 October 2000).]

Hiya,

You have stumbled upon a great addition with the Win2k product.....ACPI.

If you pop along to both www.microsoft.com & www.intel.com you can read more.

Basically all of your IRQ problems are solved for good.

All devices will appear to be using the same IRQ, usually either 9 or 11.

Win2k then does some funky mapping & virtual IRQ work to make everything run.

All very good, and trust me, nothing to worry about.

------------------

PIII 700E, Intel D815EEA, 512MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA100 30GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only