Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tamaska13

Router Issues

I have a situation, and I'm not sure what to make of it:

I have Cable(Comcast), a Linksys WRT54G router, and my connection is fine in my house. The router is downstairs: there are two computers directly connected two it, two laptops connected wirelessly (used mainly downstairs), and another laptop and two more computers upstairs (one may be hard-wired, but the others are wireless). All of these computers run fine with a strong signal and a great connection, with Factory Default settings on the router.

Now the issue.

My girlfriend's parents gave in and bought a router, since she was connecting to the internet from a random house around her and it was unstable (weak signal, and speed from 1Mbps-36). They have Knology, and they purchased a Linksys WRT160N router. Ever since it was connected there have been issues.

The laptops run okay, but there is lag and the speed is slower than my router, the network at her school, and the one at my school. It's almost like there is a delay before the page decides to load, and sometimes the pages don't load. Our laptops are 4-5ft away from this router, so there shouldn't be any interference issues.

The desktop wired to the router won't even load pages a lot of the time when we are all connected to the router. The only way the desktop runs normally is when it is connected directly to the modem.

The linksys support said to set the MTU manually to 1400, and that didn't help, so the next thing they said to do was upgrade the firmware, which looks like it's only a month or two out of date.

I had Knology before Comcast and my internet worked fine then too. Was her father supposed to contact Knology after installing the router, and why?

The only other difference, besides the model number, is that he set it up so theirs is a secure network, while mine is not. He followed the instructions on the CD, so I don't think he forgot to do anything, and I've looked at their page (192.168.1.1 page) and it looks fine that I can see.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated smile

Edit: Interesting sidenote. Pinging www.linksys.com in cmd doesn't work, but www.comcast.net works sometimes, and www.google.com works sometimes.

Did you try working through the issues with the Linksys faq page for the router located here?

If you think that you did all the troubleshooting possible, why not call the ISP support, as they may have a solution right off that works (they can help troubleshoot the issue by asking pertinent questions based on their service)?

I think the only thing on there I haven't done is upgrade the firmware. The IP address is fine, but the wireless is slow (times out like 30% of the time) and the desktop doesn't work 90% of the time when connected to the router.

The LEDs and everything is fine, but pinging linksys.com doesn't work. I haven't tried pinging 192.168.1.1, but comcast.net usually works.

I'm not allowed to do anything on the router because her dad has to do everything personally for whatever reason and he doesn't have time, so once he upgrades the firmware I'll het back and let you all know if it worked, in case anyone else ever has this problem smile

I just pulled out an old router that I found in my closet. It is a Belkin, The issue I'm having is I have internet with the ethernet pulled right into my computer. But one I plug the cable into the router than the other cable from the router to my computer. I loose internet. I looked on my laptop and It shows my wireless. any advice?Web vulnerability scanning