Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThC 129

reminder to all newbies

Please search for something on the topic your looking for instead of just posting it. I dont like answering questions that i answered 2 months ago because someone doesnt want to search.

Well then let me apologize for all my fellow newbies who have just discovered this message board who came here looking for answers from experienced and friendly people. We are all very sorry for taking up your time. I didn't realize that it was your job and ONLY YOUR job to answer each and every question posted here. Since it's too much trouble for you, I guess we'll all have to get our tech support from the unshowered geeks working at the local Radio Shack, or maybe even find something helpful on AOL somewhere. Again, sorry.

I hope you caught the sarcasm in that last post, because it was dripping with it.

I would now like to take the time to say THANK YOU to all the FRIENDLY folks who have taken a few minutes out of their day to try and help their fellow PC users and abusers here. These FRIENDLY people have helped me get answers to and opinions on hardware and software issues that I needed help with, and they did it freely and with patience. THAT is what this message forum is for, and NOT for complaining that you're tired of answering the same newbie questions over and over. Remember- you were a PC novice at one point in your life, too.

Not everyone picks up on the search feature right away. I personally don't mind answering a question again cause it makes me look smart smile

It not only saves the number of idential posts it also SAVES time for the ppl. If the question has olready been resolved, then the sollution/suggestion is already POSTED.

This way you will NOT have to wait for the responce, but just search and get the answer.

Very true, of course. But like exeter said, not everyone knows about the search feature. As a newbie who registered to post about three weeks ago, I only discovered the search feature last week. Of course it would have saved me some time, but if you don't know about the search feature, you can't use it, right? Sorry about the long post before, but 'tone' of ThC 129's post bothered me.

Yea, i think the link should be bigger, i'll e-mail Phillip. I'll never forget the days when win2k first came out when thousands of newbies were asking about Detonator drivers. Ahhhh, the good 'ol days.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cheese Weasel:
...but 'tone' of ThC 129's post bothered me.

The tone of THC's post bothered you? Jeeze, Louise, better not hang around the internet much. I'd hate to see how you'd react if you really got flamed. wink

Personally, I agree with THC. I mean look at the stats. 4300+ 'registered members' of the Message Forum, yet how many are regular contributors? There's a bunch, and I mean a BUNCH, that only pop in here the first time they run into a problem, ask the same question that's been handled numerous times before, expect an immediate answer (like, we're all being paid to handle technical support, right?); sometimes even DEMAND an answer, but don't take the time to do a search or even find out if the Forum has search capabilities. And that's the one and only time we hear of 'em from then on.

------------------
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

yeah well it does annoy me because i keep having to answer the same questions over and over and over again. All I ask is to at least take the time to search before you go and just throw out questions answered a long time ago. I enjoy helping the people on here but i get peeved answering the same redundant questions over and over and over again.

Yes I was a newbie at one time but guess what they told me the same thing im telling you SEARCH the forum.

I'm pretty sure that even this topic is a rehashed one... smile

In fact, I know that I've mentioned asking for a SEARCH link that is larger than the POST NEW TOPIC link.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Somone certainly has a bee in his bonet or sure as hell sat on one.

Ok I know I'm a newbie here but I'm not dumb like some people are.

Perhaps the easiest and most polite response is, "Help on your problem may be available in this forum. Please do a search on, "xyz." And just leave it at that.

Of course, that's not as much fun as saying something that starts a flame-war or causes some fragile newbie to burst into tears! (Mama, mama, that bad old man yelled at me!) wink

------------------

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolph Hitler, 1935

Yeah, DeadCats, he really hurt my feelings. I couldn't sleep for days. *sniff*

You're missing the point here. Yes, I sensed a slightly elitist tone to this guy's post which I thought was out of place, considering this is a forum designed to allow people to help others. So why is he complaining that he somehow HAS to help newbies with their questions? He doesn't HAVE to do anything here. Complaining about HAVING to answer questions in a support forum is kind of stupid, don't you think?? THAT was my point. I didn't post a reply to ThC 129 because what he said was offensive. I did it because what he said was DUMB. Have I made it clear enough this time?

I'm sure you guys mean well and have helped out quite a few people who needed it, but jeezus. Not all newbies are new to computers and the Internet, just new to the board. Attitudes like that don't help anyone.

Don't consider this a flame, DeadCats (or anyone else). If I feel the desire to flame someone, I'll do it at FiringSquad. That forum is like the Jerry Springer show!

Quote:
Originally posted by ThC 129:
Please search for something on the topic your looking for instead of just posting it. I dont like answering questions that i answered 2 months ago because someone doesnt want to search.

Well, Cheesy ol' pal, I don't see anywhere in there where ThC 129 referred to HAVING to answer questions. All I see is ThC 129 STATING how the answer to a question could be found, and STATING his dislike for providing the same answer more than once. He even was polite about the whole damn thing (note his use of the word, "please").

Now let's go over that again: ThC 129 actually DID provide help by stating how the answer to a question could be found. He was polite about it, and he spoke of his OWN personal dislike in answering questions he had already recently answered.

It appears to me that ThC was not only explaining how to possibly find the quickest answer to a question, but also showing newbies how they could not only find the answer to a PARTICULAR question, but also to questions they might have in the future. And that knowledge is probably a lot more help to newbies that just being provided an answer to one particular question. Something along the lines of, "If you teach a man to how fish..." don't you think?

But YOU, in your specious, sarcastic remarks, not only did not allow ThC the right to have likes and dislikes, but then you took it upon yourself to represent the opinions of ALL other newbies. My, how exemplary of you!

Well, if you're gonna do that, then on behalf of all newbies, perhaps you'd like to thank ThC for actually providing a GREAT way of finding (or not finding) answers!

But let me show you the 1st post a person just made in the topic above this one, as listed in Today's Active Topics: "I just recently installed Office 2K on my system (full install) and am suffering a problem with Access. This topic may have been covered before but I could not find anything by searching."

Now, obviously that newbie isn't as clueless as you purport ALL newbies to be (how kind of you to do so)! ;(

Sure, I can see how it might be hard to miss the search function. But IMHO, the fact that ThC pointed out that feature could have the potential of being of much more help to newbies than anything else he could have stated.

Yes, I know, in a later post ThC stated, "i keep having to answer the same questions over and over and over again." Did you consider the fact that some of the members of this forum have a tremendous amount of specific knowledge in certain areas, and that they are often questioned by individual members when they have questions in regard to that specific area of knowledge?

And no, Cheesy, I don't consider your post a flame, although it certainly suggests that my most recent post was pointed at you which, IN FACT, it was not! I do not consider you as being the type of person capable of producing creative flames.

Now go run home to mama. 8)

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 23 September 2000).]

Man this place seams like it’s getting younger and younger. Listening to this childish crap.

If you don't like answering a post then just don't. Wow that was easy. How about just saying, "Try the search option you may find the answer you need". If you have to cry about it, don't do it (what ever it is). Now "capable of producing creative flames" and then the " Run home to mama". To me flames are no more than listening to my wife cry about a broken nail.

You know it 2 months a lot of things change and some answers are to old yet some are still needed. In other words "if you do not want to help then please feel free not to input you expert advice." smile

[This message has been edited by Yearout (edited 23 September 2000).]

*sigh*

Where should I begin to respond to this...? Since this is obviously going nowhere, I'm just going to bite my tongue and let you 'win'. Feel better?

One thing, though. A comment like 'I do not consider you as being the type of person...' is pretty ridiculous, considering that we've only read two or so posts from each other. You must be incredibly perceptive to know what I'm capable of from simply reading a few lines I've typed. And that was one of the more intelligent things you had to say, unfortunately. Post your 'run home to mama' crap somewhere else.