Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tourettes

How stable are new Duron / Thunderbird motherboards?

How long do you guys have been able to keep these new Abit / Asus motherbords up?

I'm bying new mobo and I don't want to have motherborad that crashes after couple of days on.

My experience so far has been anything with the VIA chipset has been not good. I've had quite a couple of game issues with the AGP Driver that VIA puts out and even when the new Detonator drivers came out, they had to quickly issue a fix for that so it would run properly. Since then I've gone to an Intel 815E chipset and put in a p3-866 coppermine and I've yet to have a crash or one single problem in any game I've run.

Just my experience anyway.

I have Gigabyte & Abit KT boards and they all work fine with Duron and Thunderbird CPU. I don't have any problems under WIn98 and 2000. Both systems run GTS cards.....

I never run the system for more then 20 hours at a time though.... I wanna save some power so I turn computers off at night.

My abit be6-II v1.2 (intel BX) has been running flawlessly since I booted it up for the first time about four days ago. It has never been off and it has never crashed.

The same cannot be said for my old supermicro motherboard, which I am seriously considering torching for Halloween...

:}

Have you ever successfully played Deus Ex on an VIA Chipset motherboard in Win2k? I've yet to last more then about 45 seconds with a VIA Chipset when the Intel 815E I have runs rock solid. This is the 64 Meg flavor of the GTS2 as well.

I had problems with a SOYO board I have until I used the new viainf.exe file I got at the via site. Now it stays up until I decide to shut it down.

My friend has played the Deus Ex all the way thru to the end with zero crashes using his CUV4X motherboard (Apollo 133A), P3-733, and 32MB GTS. He's using the 6.18s and the latest Via 4in1.