Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FakeMcCoy

Most Win2k Friendly Vid Card?

I've been trying to decide on a replacement for my Banshee, but am coming up stuck on what card provides the best support in 2000. I need a card with TV-Out as well. I'm trying to decide between a GeForce, a GeForce 2 MX, a Viper II, and a V3 3500. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I hear ya about this one. As far as most friendly to win2k? Drivers are a huge incentive when choosing a new card. I personally like Nvidia cards. I used to be a big Diamond fan, but once S3 bought them out, I cant think of a product they make that I'd want to buy now. As far as the Viper II goes. I wouldnt even consider it. It was intersting to watch it come out and be priced with all the upper cards (Geforce at the time) and watch how fast the price plummeted. The 3dfx voodoo 5's sound nice, but pricey as hell. And when upgrading from a Banshee, just about anything will be a HUGE improvment for ya. As far as drivers, I really like Nvidia. Sure, there are a ton of drivers, and new ones come out all the time, but isnt that what we want? I dont have much experience with 3dfx outside of their voodoo 2 card (which I dug very much 2 years ago). Those new GeForce 2 MX cards look to be pretty appealing at 150 bux. Looks like its on par with the origional GeForce 256, but falls apart when it hits higher res.(1024 and up). If your pricerange is between 100-200, either get a Geforece 2 MX, or a Geforce 256 w/ DDR. if its above that, look at the GTS's or the Voodoo 5's. If your going for ultimate go for the GTS Ultra. From what I hear, peole with V5's seem to be a bit more stable. But to tell yo uthe truth, I run an Abit BF6 with a Geforce 256 (detonator 3 6.18) with a SB Live and my system is stable as hell. I never had problems like some people mention. Hope this helps..

Jeff

You guys should educate yourselves, and read the Radeon reviews and talk to people who have experience with them and can speak intelligently about them.

Ned

------------------

heh. Don't see too many Radeon owners using Windows 2000......I wonder why....

ati are notorious for writing bad drivers

i personally use the asus v7100 - gf2 with tv-out

works flawlessy and very overclockable...

had it for a week now and the comps been on the whole time except for a couple of reboots..stable as a rock

Kyosho46vr: You should take your own advice and shut your mouth unless you know what you're talking about. I'm speaking from personal experience because I actually own a Radeon. Do you? Plus, I don't remember seeing a single review of the Radeon running Win2K benchmarks. If you have one throw the link here and I'll read it.

I've spent many hours troubleshooting it under Win2K and the end result is it doesn't work. I'm not going to go into my process here because it would take too long. Do a search and you'll see posts by myself and other Radeon users. In fact, go to http://rage3d.com and look in the forum there. There are a couple people who say they've got a Radeon working under Win2k but they are far outnumbered by those suffering from BSOD in D3D games and benchmarks.

I'll say it again, stay away from the Radeon.

Rob

[This message has been edited by Robor (edited 24 August 2000).]