Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dlieberm

emachines M5305 Laptop

I recently purchased an emachines M5305 laptop. Works fine with Windows XP. I have been unable to install Red Hat 9 or Lindows 3.0. The unit has a new ATI IGP 320M video card. This card allows for an external monitor to be added simultaneously with the laptop screen. Does anyone know a Linux distribution which would work with this configuration.

I am not a hotshot programmer but I follow simple instructions. Thanks for your help.

Daniel Lieberman Sacramento California

yes, the radeon IGP 320 video card gave me trouble with earlier versions of

mandrake (8.2-9.1) but after a bit of research, i found other people have successfully installed linux on laptops w/ the same card.... XFree4.2.1

supports it... and Mandrake 9.1 comes with it.

I just got my M5305 a week ago and have found 2 ded pixels frown

Have not yet found out how to set the full widescreent resolution 1200-800... am

using 1186-7xx something like that...

hope this helps

Looks like a cool laptop, I am unsure to purchase as it does not have firewire....

anyways.. were you able to get the video working... I saw the post that Redhat 9 install didn't work for you b/c of video ;( ;( .

Thanks,

Mark

I just bought a hp ze4315 with the same video card, and have found that using vesa as the video driver works. Unfortunately there is not much if any support for ATI video cards in linux. Check out http://www.linux-on-laptops.com and see if your laptop is listed or not.

I have the same problem installing JAMD which is redhat 8 based I think. Please post any solutions. I might try to reinstall and force different video driver for an older chip like M7 instead of the U1. Crazy think is that it recognizes it as U1 but when it boots and tries entering X it flickers and gives the "respawning too fast error".