Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
econfan

GRUB freezes when booting! Please help!

I am new to linux. I just installed redhat9 on a seperate disk of 30gb. Windows xp is on disk C (NTFS) (IDE) with 60gb. The installation is ok. I installed GRUB on MBR. Then reboot, only GRUB shows and freezes right there. Have to ctrl-alt-del to restart and grub freezes again and again. I reinstalled redhat, this time GRUB on the first section, instead of MBR. Still the same thing. Fortunately I have a boot disk, everytime I can use linux, but not windows. I tried to revise grub.conf under /boot/grub/, but still, the same thing happens.

Please help me!

Thank you!

I need to know Which disk, (hda , hdb, jdc, hdd, etc...)

What your "/" partition is, you /boot partition is, Your Windows Partition is.

What you current menu.lst looks like.

Get those, and I can help.

Thanks, gfolkert,

I tried very hard to make it work, but still failed. I downloaded mandrake 9.1 and installed, hoping to correct this problem.

Two hard drives:

windows (hd0,1,4,5)

linux (hd1,4,5)

current menu.lst:

-----------------------------------------------------------

timeout 10

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

i18n (hd1,0)/boot/grub/messages

keytable (hd1,0)/boot/us.klt

altconfigfile (hd1,0)/boot/grub/menu.once

default 0

title linux

kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off0 vga=788

initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img

title windows

root (hd0,1)

map (0x81) (0x80)

map (0x80) (0x81)

makeactive

chainloader +1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded grub, and installed it manually, but still not working. The only difference now is: when booting, serveral lines of 07 07 07 ... show up, then "press F1 for retry booting ..."

I am not sure now grub boots from hda or hdb, since I tried to install it under both, and under MBR and first section too, when I have redhat. Now I think mandrake covers redhat. Now I can use my mandrake to boot into linux, use grub floppy to boot into windows (by inputting chainloader commends at grub>), but not a menu showing up for choice.

Really frustrated.

Thanks.

Greetings ,

I once saw that very same problem at somebody else too which occured due to wrong configuration.I mean he probably used `the finger' you know against his bootloader's configuration

That freeze you get is cause your bootloader's fucked up real good

Now , try to reinstall grub 1st

Then , () you compiled your kernel as well ?

Type grub , when you get it's prompt

a) root (hd0,1)

B) setup (hd0,1)

c) kernel=/boot/vmlinuz

d) initrd=/boot/initrd

e) chainloader (hd0,1)+1

f) boot

* Try if with the above steps you got the same freeze to jump the (f) step and write reboot instead and then mk_initrd *

Farewell

Greetings ,

By the way , After the chainloader (hd0,1)+1 (try +21 as well instead of 1) ( which that's his use/job ) You'll get both win as optional and linux at your menu to select as there are the boot options as well.

Farewell