Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DOScrash

nVidia and the Asus P5A-B motherboard instability in Win2k

I just clean installed Windows 2000 on my PC and my Nvidia TNT2 Ultra card is extremely unstable. The official Nvidia Microsoft drivers cause the OS to freeze on startup After about 20-30 minutes of normal OS use such as browsing folders, installing programs or browsing the internet, with the latest Detonator 2 v5.22 drivers or the beta Detonator 2 v5.32 drivers, my computer blue screens everytime saying that there is an error with the "nv4_disp.dll" file. This is the display dll for the Nvidia Detonator 2 v5.X drivers. I ran a few tests and here is what I found:

When I load up the operating system with the latest Nvidia 5.X drivers and leave my computer alone, it will not crash.

When I run Quake 3 in a demo loop for a long time, nothing happens, it runs fine and never crashes. I had it run for about 1 and 1/2 hours.

When I run a Winamp song in a loop it crashes within 20-30 minutes.

After 20-30 minutes of miscellaneous operating system use, it will crash.

I have heard that the P5A has trouble supplying power to the GeForce cards and some people have told me this could be the problem. I have flashed the BIOS on my motherboard from the official 1007 to the beta 1010 version. I have also adjusted the voltage settings on my motherboard to increase power to the AGP card. Both have not worked. I have e-mailed Diamond Multimedia customer support and they advised me to configure BIOS settings. None of these worked. Also, I have downloaded the latest AGP drivers from Acer/ALI's website.

My brother's computer is identical to mine except he has a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee. When I put the Nvidia TNT2 Ultra in his computer with the latest drivers, it will also behave the same way and crash.

I tested a different Diamond Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra from a friend's PC and it behaved the same way.

I then tested a Creative Labs Annihilator Pro GeForce2 GTS 32mb card and it behaved the same way.

I then tested a 64mb Voodoo 5 and the computer is completely stable! (possibly since it uses it's own power supply and/or different drivers?)

I found that the Detonator 3.78 Drivers work but that they don't support OpenGL or Direct 3D!

I also found that if I use the Detonator 2 5.XX Drivers and keep the Hardware Acceleration slider all the way to the left (any other notch will make it crash) the computer is stable, but the display of course is very sluggish!

With the Detonator 5.32 Drivers, the computer will also crash DURING THE GAME in the latest Star Trek Voyager Elite Force Demo (Quake III engine)

Here are my complete system specifications:

Asus P5A-B Socket 7 motherboard

Diamond Viper v770 Ultra TNT2 32mb

AMD K6-2 550

128 PC100 SDRAM

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 8.6gb HD

Creative Labs 48X CD-ROM

Mistumi 4804TE CD-RW

3com Ethernet 3509B ISA card

Realtek Ethernet PCI card

Diamond SupraMAX 56i Modem

Quote:
Originally posted by DOScrash:
I just clean installed Windows 2000 on my PC and my Nvidia TNT2 Ultra card is extremely unstable.
I then tested a 64mb Voodoo 5 and the computer is completely stable! (possibly since it uses it's own power supply and/or different drivers?)

Here are my complete system specifications:

Asus P5A-B Socket 7 motherboard
Diamond Viper v770 Ultra TNT2 32mb
AMD K6-2 550
128 PC100 SDRAM
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Seagate 8.6gb HD
Creative Labs 48X CD-ROM
Mistumi 4804TE CD-RW
3com Ethernet 3509B ISA card
Realtek Ethernet PCI card
Diamond SupraMAX 56i Modem

It is your mobo/TNT(2) -combination. I had also Asus P5A-B with TNT (STB velocity 4400), but w2k had BSOD in every 5-10 minutes. I think it is impossible to make stable system with Ali chipset+TNT.

I changed my TNT to an ATI card and now I have very stable system (no more blue screens after I changed my video card).

I think voodoo cards would work as well.

You need to be running Detonator(not 2) 5.17.

I have these on my drive so if you want them Send me a mail...I send for you no problem.

Maybe you allready have them...Thats what I use until they get it right....I'm not changing to Detonator 2 Drivers....nononono