Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MR whistler

ATI RADEON 256/ Matrox G800

i thought i would post a message about the new ati radeon 256 seems thats it going to kill the geforce 2, and ati also have a dual version comming out which means that the Radeon will effectively have a fill-rate of 3 GigaTexels and transform up to 60 million triangles per second. is that quick or what all so i have just recieved some info on that Ati are going to release an even quicker card next year.(january 2001) so where is nvidia now?

Also the next generation of cards are going to use 5ns ram which will get rid of the bottle neck between the GPU and ram, and torwards the end of 2001 they will have a total of 256meg on board where does it stop Thats more than most people have system ram !

well your going to guess matrox have been keep there selfs quite, they are launching there g450 soon which won't be a power puncher of a graphics card, compared to the likes of voodoo 6000, but this is just to tie them over, while they prepare there monster called the G800, i don't have tech specs yet, but it is going to blow the front running contender away, thats if they release it in time!. As you can gather were does that leave 3dfx and nvida ?

I hoped you enjoyed this little bit of news !

Er... Do you have a thing for Canada, or is ATi giving you kickbacks?

I have owned nothing but ATi cards. I have an Nvidia in the office and have been quite happy with it.

However, preliminary benchmarks of the Radeon show it lagging 10-30% behind the GeForce 2, roughly in parity with the Voodoo 5500.

Also, in 2-3 months, the NV20 will be available, which will run 2-4 times faster than the GeForce 2. ATi will not have a comparable card until March of next year (or later).

The NV20 will render out at 1600 Mpixels, or 6.4 GTexels, which is 4 and 5.3 times faster than the Radeon for the same statistics (400 Mpixels, 1.2 GTexels).

ATi has never tried to have the fastest card. Rather, they attempt to suit their OEMs, which generally involves making an inexpensive, well-rounded product.

Both companies are just fine for their repsective target markets. ATi for low cost, high volume OEM sales, and Nvidia for high cost, moderate volume add-on sales. Nvidia has made some headway into the OEM market, but currently has 25% of the penetration of ATi.

First of all i have tried an ati card once, which i only had for 2 days, and im not an Ati lover either, i currentley own an nvida card myself, But i have info from a insider that Ati want to get into the front end of the gamers market since they are biggest graphic card manufacture in the world. And just don't forget about matrox, they were first graphic card company to bring out a 64 bit graphics card,

if any body going to shake the market its going to be matrox ! Just one final thing i read a review about a 9 months ago on nvida geforce 1 which was spose to come out in 32meg, 64meg and 128meg versions but did it no, and finally i can't believe nvida had to bring another 32meg version geforce 2, so time will tell, who wins the day, i agree nvida can deliver goods.

....and then, a month after both the new ATI card & Matrox G800 are released NVidia will then release a faster card.

And so we go on, every few months another company will produce a slightly faster card.

Personally, I'm waiting for the G800.

Very happy with my G400MAX and for a card over a year old it still performs just fine in anything I throw at it.

I too tried ATI once, will never go back even if their card is going to be the 'top dog' I simply wont touch it.

I'll leave ATI in the Viglen PC's we buy here at work.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 384MB PC100 RAM (Samsung), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only