Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Intel making the first move towards floppy boot problem.

It's good to see that Intel have taken the first initiative towards solving the boot floppy bios update problem. Lets hope that other follow their lead.

intel has for some time had self extracting boot disk image for there bioses, hell they even have a setup where you can boot up a dead MB from a floppy, whats interesting about this is that with a bootable cd, you may not need the floppy at all anymore.. are we headed to iMac land in the PC world now... one has to wonder what is next... I have long wondered why none of the MB makers licenced freedos or something similar and stuck it on a rom on the MB, for emergency boots oh well guess we will see what the future brings ehh?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the problem ??? I think I've missed out on something.

People who update their bios generally have the means to get and use a boot disk from an older OS. Or they can get a copy of one over the web (www.bootdisc.com for example). Or do you really claim that you have been unable to update the bios just because W2K can't provide you with a boot disk ??? You can boot the machine with one disk and load the bios from another, can't you ?

The lawyers of big corporations who upgrade the bios of 1000 of machines (did this ever happen?)may have a little problem with getting legal boot disks. Do you claim that the friendly MS sales rep is refusing to give them a copy of a boot disk and threatening to sue if they boot once with an "illegal" boot disk to upgrade the bios? Where and when did this happen ?

Ah yes, but you're forgetting one thing - what if you've just bought your first ever PC, which comes preinstalled or with Win 2K - no dos boot disk - so in this respect there could be a problem.

well It hate tell you this but www.bootdisc.com is dead.

I seen to recall some of new Soyo & iWill CD was useing Linux Kernel to do this all in all it going to be interesting.

jabbathewocket yup that interest thing Intel come up with min moon's a ago.

I'am sure someone will wirte a microkernel just for that jabbathewocket.

How ever it time move in to real world floppyless disk system, In case those you don't know Mac dosen't need floppy disk to flash it bios.

They all ready have windows applications that change the bios setting on fly, reprogram modem & min other hardware devices with in windows.

So you see this can be done with in windows but those manufacturer are to lasy to do it,

beside floppy is old & slow unless you got a LS120 drive but problem with this drive it disk format is not very compatible.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 03 July 2000).]

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 03 July 2000).]

damn what goof up ok CUViper you got me there hehe.