Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IrishShapes

c000021a {Fatal System Error}

on my desk top i had a recurring spyware (Vundo i think) which was grating me, so after many scans and quarantines and deletes etc, i looked it up online!

from the symatic website it said to boot up in safe mode, turn off system restore and run scan, when scan complete, delete and reboot, turning off safe mode and turning back on sys restore

well i got to the deleting part, when i reboot i now have the above message!

i have checked other websites and none seem to help, saying i need the original boot disk (pc is 3 years old!!) or try an XP disk, well i dont have one (well not a real copy) and hit repair when i gt the option

another says to uninstall SP3 (which i would if i could even get in that far)

also tried F8 and "Last Good Configuration" - no luck

it's a packard bell with XP SP3, and without going any further i can't really tell you much more

can any one else help,

thanks in advance

p.s. i have asked this on another forum and they said to install Knoppix and Linux, but i'm unsure if this is the best solution for me!!

It's always a good idea to post a link to the article that you used to try the fix you mentioned. It saves tome for the person helping you from searching the exact article that you used. I assume it's this one?

Quote:
from the symatic website it said to boot up in safe mode, turn off system restore and run scan, when scan complete, delete and reboot, turning off safe mode and turning back on sys restore

I assume that you tried the FixVundo.exe file and at some point it asked you to delete the infected files...and did you follow the instructions verbatim, such as disconnecting the system from the internet when trying the fix?

Quote:
i have checked other websites and none seem to help, saying i need the original boot disk (pc is 3 years old!!) or try an XP disk, well i dont have one (well not a real copy) and hit repair when i gt the option

Well, that's why it's good to keep your recovery disks, just for these situations. It does not matter how old the computer is!

Can you boot into safe mode now at all?

Quote:
p.s. i have asked this on another forum and they said to install Knoppix and Linux, but i'm unsure if this is the best solution for me!!

Did the forum suggest installing Knoppix, or using a Knoppix live CD to assist in recovering possible lost DLL files? In this case, you are not installing Knoppix, just using the live CD to recover files. It does not touch the hard drive, in the latter case.

LINK TO ADVICE

and no i can't boot to safe at all!

i downloaded a boot disk also and tried to boot from that and it just wont!

i go into BIOS put it to thee top of the list and still nothing, doesn't even give me an option to boot from disk!

quite frustrating!

i can however get to a C:\WINDOWS prombt, will this help?

I looked at your link, thanks for posting this.

From the thread, it looks like you downloaded Knoppix, but did not burn the iso image, just copied the iso onto a cd disk? This is not correct. See here.

What boot disk did you download and how did you burn it? Or are you speaking of a floppy disk? Please be specific.

An XP repair install may be your ticket, but you have to have a valid XP disk to use. In other words, one with a validation code that you can use for new installations.

Quote:
i can however get to a C:\WINDOWS prombt, will this help?

It sounds like you got into the recovery console and not the repair install mode when booting from the XP disk? Again, you need to be specific to know exactly what you tried...ie; I booted with the XP cd and got to the C:\WINDOWS prompt, will this help?

A repair installation is described here.

But before you try this, it is a good idea to back up any important files first to any good media. Knoppix is helpful for this.

You may also want to ask a friend who has good computer knowledge to assist, as any recovery that you try may be complex for you to achieve.

I tried using the Packard Bell Recovery Program. When you get the Packard Bell logo, hit F11 until the recovery program appears. Follow the instructions - it's point and click. I had the same fatal error and am trying the full recovery right now on my Packard Bell PC. There is a chance you will lose your data, but hopefully this will work!

on my desk top i had a recurring spyware (Vundo i think) which was grating me, so after many scans and quarantines and deletes etc, i looked it up online!

another says to uninstall SP3 (which i would if i could even get in that far)

also tried F8 and "Last Good Configuration" - no luck

it's a packard bell with XP SP3, and without going any further i can't really tell you much more

can any one else help,

thanks in advance