Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DOScrash

Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra instability in Windows 2000 (kernel d

I just clean installed Windows 2000 on my PC and my Nvidia TNT2 Ultra card is extremely unstable. The official Nvidia Microsoft drivers cause the OS to freeze on startup, the latest Detonator 2 v5.22 driver and the beta Detonator 2 v5.33 drivers. After about 20-30 minutes of normal OS use such as browsing folder, installing programs or browsing the internet, my computer blue screens and kernel dumps everytime saying that there is a problem with the "nv4_disp.dll" file. This is the display dll for the Nvidia Detonator 2 v5.X drivers. I ran a few tests and here is what I found:

When I load up the operating system with the latest Nvidia 5.X drivers and leave my computer alone, it will not crash.

When I run Quake 3 in a demo loop for a a long time, nothing happens, it runs fine and never crashes. I had it run for about 1 and 1/2 hours.

When I run a Winamp song in a loop it crashes within 20-30 minutes.

After 20-30 minutes of miscellaneous operating system use, it will crash.

I have heard that the P5A has trouble supplying power to the GeForce cards and some people have told me this could be the problem. I have flashed the BIOS on my motherboard from the official 1007 to the beta 1010 version. I have also adjusted the voltage settings on my motherboard to increase power to the AGP card. Both have not worked. I have e-mailed Diamond Multimedia customer support and they advised me to configure BIOS settings. None of these worked. Also, I have been suggested to download the latest AGP and IDE motherboard device drivers from ALI's website. However, I have a terrible connection with the website (since it is in Taiwan) and cannot download the drivers much less load the driver website page.

My brother's computer is identical to mine except he has a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee. When I put the Nvidia TNT2 Ultra in his computer with the latest drivers, it will also behave the same way and crash.

I tested a different Diamond Viper 770 TNT2 Ultra from a friend's PC and it behaved the same way.

I then tested a Creative Annihilator Pro GeForce2 GTS 32mb card and it behaved the same way.

I then tested a Voodoo 5 64mb and the computer is completely stable!

Here are my complete system specifications:

Asus P5A Socket 7 motherboard

Diamond Viper v770 Ultra TNT2

AMD K-6 550

128 PC100 SDRAM

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 8.6gb HD

Toshiba 40X CD-ROM

Mistumi 4048TE CD-RW

3com Ethernet 3509B ISA card

Realtek Ethernet PCI card

Diamond SupraMAX 56i Modem

[This message has been edited by DOScrash (edited 03 July 2000).]

Hi,

Maybe you should try Detonator v 5.16 instead. I use to have similar problem as yours, after searching and reading the thread posts, I found the problem is with my TNT2 M64 drivers. I found Detonator v 3.69 and v 5.16 is one of the stable drivers to be use with my card, the newest of the Detonator drivers might not always work with your system especially in Win2K environment. One thing is Detonator v 3.69 does have the additional tabs under the video properties.

Regards

Your first assumption is probably right. The drivers should work fine. Your chipset and AGP drivers are most likely the problem. Get those drivers from Ali, and then try Detonator 2 drivers again.

[This message has been edited by JediBaron (edited 29 June 2000).]

I had the exact same problem with my W2k system, but with a Geforce 256. I tried all of the drivers and no success. It must be the motherboard. I have a Biostar M5ALA (ALi Aladdin V chipset)and it keeps rebooting. In Win 98, it just locks up. A short term solution I have found to work so far, when you're not using 3D apps or games, move the slider under Display properties, Troubleshooting, all the way to the left, this disables all acceleration. I have been surfing the net and running apps just fine for over a day now with no mem dumps. To play games, just move the slider to the right. The monitor refreshes and you're good to go. I've decided I'm getting rid of this P.O.S. board as soon as I can get a good SocketA board in a week or so. Egghead carries the FIC AZ11 for like $127 but they're out of stock already. Anyways I hope this solution works for you too.

I have same problem with TNT+SB!Live+Asus P5A-B. All works fine with Windows 95, but with w2k the machine boots after few minutes. The situation is better with driver version 3.78, but the system is not stable anyway.

I think Asus has some kind of problem with AGP+TNT.