Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
5t3ph3n

satellite internet in win2k?

i'm thinking about this Europe on Line program for internet with satellite and i need a good DVBS card that will work in win2k. Any suggestions? (Pentamedia has drivers but 1. bad reputation 2. drivers don't allow TV!). Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm also wondering with that thing about satelite in w2k... but i'm totally new with satelite. Ok, you need a pc-card, satelitereceiver thingie ... and what's up with receiving tv channels? is that possible

when using that pccard thing?

I own 3 satellite cards.

Pentamedia Pent@Net

Pentamedia Pent@Vision

Harmonic Cyberstream SAT1.

Here are my findings:

Pent@Net works fine in Win2k, but does not work at all with dual processors, confirmed by my Pentamedia contact in the UK office, and he says that they are fixing it.

Pent@Vision, same as Pent@Net with dual processors, but as above, TV doesn't work, which is the same as in NT, and I am not sure if they will add it, but I will be finding out, as I am reviewing the Pent@Vision.

Cyberstream SAT1 is magnificent in Win2k. Works fine in my BP6 with dual Celerons with no crashes. Occasionaly it just seems to hang up. If I try to close it, it will lock the system, so a restart is needed. This happens around 3 times a day with me.

I use these cards with EON. I use the Pentamedia cards on PCs running Win Me, but have tried both in Win2k.

But note that I have failed to get the SAT1 to work with the new EON login system, which is supposed to let FTP Clients work via the proxy. Things like Getright, and IE work fine with FTP, but transponder 103, which only has the new login system is supposed to allow FTP clients like Cute FTP to operate via the proxy.

Also, the Pent@Vision is the only satellite card offering TV and basic Win2k drivers. I haven't seem Win2k drivers for any of the other cards that offer FTA TV.

To receive TV (other than the few channels which use media player with EON), you need a card offering TV decoding, which is usually double the price of one without. If you want one that can accept cards, then is is about 3 times the price of the basic card with no TV.

Note that the Sky Digital interface is a closly guarded secret, and only the Sky 'digibox' can recognise the Sky smart card, which means that even a card like the Pent@Vision-CI can't currently view pay-per-view digital channels on sky digital.

Brendan

[This message has been edited by bkehoe (edited 27 June 2000).]

Quote:
Originally posted by bkehoe:
Cyberstream SAT1 is magnificent in Win2k. Works fine in my BP6 with dual Celerons with no crashes. Occasionaly it just seems to hang up. If I try to close it, it will lock the system, so a restart is needed. This happens around 3 times a day with me

so it's not so magnificent!!! wink

I forgit to say that the hang ups didn't happen with teh first beta drivers which had build 311 of the monitor utility. The current ones have build 313.

I can't seem to get rid of the current ones, so I may reinstall and put on the 'old' working drivers.

But 1 - 3 hangs per day is better than the app hanging whenever you try to lock onto a transponder. smile

Brendan

I have the KISS SatDem card, and an EON satelite internet subscription.

But I cannot get it to work on my dual p3, its drivers install fine, but the tuner program is giving werd errors and locking up.

I havent had the card in my machine in two months now, waiting for an update. I saw this topic here and I guess Ill try it again tonight. this time I have a nother graphics card, and win2k is also freshly installed.

Your problem sound exactly the same as with the Pent@Net dual processor problem. Starts up, you click the seek button, select the transponder, and wham, the thing locks up.

Here is a clip of what I got from my contact in Pentamedia Europe:

Quote:

I got positve feedback today on the TV option. Will have to wait a while longer though.

The importance of Windows 2000 as a replacement for 98 has been acknowledged though.

Also version 2.6 of the applications is going to be released soon. A lot of API functions are going to be included I have been informed (new services want them).

Dual processor problem has never been solved. I ask them about once a month for an update on that issue.

'Them' as referred to in the dual processor bit are the software developers in Korea.

Brendan.

[This message has been edited by bkehoe (edited 29 June 2000).]

Great, then I can assume it is because of my dual P3. It gave me the wierd error message now as it did two months ago.

I also have been in contact with a person (sales person or actual developer) from Korea, and got the win2k drivers from him. I'll tell him about this.