Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FearCourage

Intel PRO/DSL 2100 Modem Drivers

Does anyone here know when Intel or USWest will be releasing drivers and where I can get them? I want to migrate to 2000, but can't unless I have drivers for my modem.

well, i have heard from many places that there will be one available the 8th. dont hold me to it if im wrong, you know intel :-\ but let us pray the rumors are correct...

Yea, you gotta belive. I cant go to win2k cause there arent drivers. Im a Business PhD student, and i am stumped with regards to the business plan Intel is using: We are not going to support the DSL card that USWEST customers use when those customers upgrade with a microsoft product (whom we are in agreement with).

hmmmmm.

Maybe they are afraid of the Internet Connection Sharing features are built into Win2k, if more people knew, and were running Win2k the bandwith would go threw the roof if people started useing it . .

just my .002

utter dissapointment from intel/us west/whoever else they blame the modem on....i want a free cisco 675 mad

Hi.. there is a link to a prior post I did at the bottom of teh page. A few things first...

To clerify, I work for MegaLAN, the network oriented devision that configures the 675. There are 10 people on my team as opposed to the 60 or so that are on at any given time for megabit, which handles the Cisco 605, 675, and Intel 2100. A few things I want to point out, since it doesnt seem to be clear to some people:

#1. Internet connection sharing. When I worked on Megabit a while back, I used to get calls from people trying to network the 605 or the 2100 through ICS. I still get those, when they somehow stumble into my que after being told that MegaLAN support them. Each and every person that Ive ever talked to had reported that ICS with the 2100 or 605 has completely hosed windows. They had to do a full Fdisk, Format and Reinstall. The reason for this is really very simple. *Youre not installing a Modem.* The 605 and 2100 are *Routers* and they dont dial up, the dont operate in an even remotely similar way to an analog modem, and ICS wasnt designed for a Router. Its modemville, baby. Hope this helps get rid of some of the conspiracy theories Ive heard way to often.

#2. We here at tech support have been told consistantly that the 2100 would have win2k drivers publicly available on the 8th of this month on the uswest website. As you might notice, its currently the 16th, and still no drivers. I received word *5 minutes ago* that Intel has waffled, and they are not, as was previouslly indicated, doing a public beta test. They are conducting a *private* beta test. This bites for us as well as you, because not only have we been telling the customers that call that the drivers would be available over a week ago, but now we have to get back on the phones and explain to generally ticked off people that we wernt lying to them, We were told by intel that we would have drivers and now they changed their minds.

Intel has NOW told us that the public drivers will be out sometime in August. We're not happy about it either.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002427.html

a few more clerifications: The telephone company (which includes Mega*.*) is seperate from the ISP, by Federal Law. The telephone company (and thus mega*)doesnt care if you use full bandwith the entire time youre online. Its like making a 13 hour local phone call. Who cares? The ISP however, might see it diffrently. Youre using *Their* bandwith and their servers to hit the net. If you clog their servers, then no one else gets on.

You can count the fear of exsessive bandwith consumption out of the list as well.

Personally I find it amusing that people want a free 675 because of the drivers for the 2100. This would be similar to buying a ford with the express knowledge that the ford doesnt have power windows and there are no garantees it ever will. After a few months, you take it back and express extreme dissatisfaction with Ford because it doesnt give you the option to upgrade to power windows. In fact, you think youre entitled to a Dodge ram for your troubles, at the cost of the Ford dealership. I cant believe it when I hear my cubemates tell me how they just talked to someone who was completely rude, demanding a product that costs $200 more then their router because they were too cheap to buy the 675 in the first place, and now they changed their minds.

Last note: Cisco hasnt committed to doing a driver for the 605 at all.

Greybear

Well I am sure that the drivers will be available via Warez then. Pretty irresponsible to abandon customers that want to upgrade to windows 2000 and screw them over. Says a lot about the two companies.

I agree that what is happening sucks, Greybear, but i am in disagreement with the policy regarding people trading up to the cisco modem. I asked specifically 2 different individuals at USWEST if the 2100 would be supported under Win2k, and they both said that there would be "No problems, the NT drivers will work". I would probably have went to a different DSL provider had i known that I would have to wait for this long. I was one of those people who (not rudely) asked (actually) to borrow a cisco until the drivers were finished for the 2100 (or some other solution). oh well. Im not sure that this problem is with any of Intel's customers. I am sure that the policy that Intel is adhering to with this issue is one of the poorest responses to a customer problem that I have ever seen, especially from a "Leader" in the field.

my .02

Further, in my case (and i imagine many other cases out there), this situation would analagous to buying a ford after being told by the salesman that a)not only is the engine in it superior to every other car out there, but also B) you would be able to drive the same roads that you were already on more quickly and effectively immediately after you make added-value modification to the engine using an after-market package from another company that has historically been joined at the hip with ford. Further, you know that the car runs smoother, gives you more power and uses less energy (and crashes less) with this modification. So you buy the ford (USWEST service) with the intel 2100 card (the engine), make the modification (Win2k), and find that you are not able to drive on ANY roads at all, and that the engine as modified is useless. So you take the ford back, and the dealer says that it is your problem, and that they will fix the engine on their own sweet time, and in the meantime you can either a)go back to the un-modified, less stable, outdated engine (2100 with NT) or pay 200$ more for a different engine that makes little real difference to me but that works with the modification. No car dealer would survive if they tried to pull a stunt like this. Im up to .04$

I dont doubt you were told that the 2100 would work with NT drivers. Who told you? Sales, or Megabit? Sales is a problem. The management is well aware of sales making promises that arent true and steps are being taken at this very moment to completely stop that entire situation. I can agree that in a situation (If I understand it correctly) that youve presented, that you got screwed by misinformation, and I am %100 behind you. I would ask you to understand where the tech is coming from on the other end, as they have no way of shipping you a temp. 675, and tracking it to make sure they get it back. People can simply refuse to return it and thats the last they see of it sadly enough. That is also being changed, so at some future time, it might indeed be possible to "loan out" 675's. But again, USWest is most likely thinking "who do we have to ship out a $300 router for Intel's screw up?" While that does leave the customer at a bad end (which I disagree with completely) I can understand the mentality (That were working hard to change) behind that desision. Not to mention the extreme possibility for fraud.

As for the Car analogy, Again, if thats what happened to you, it sucks. I can only say that there are people who are working to change all of this, and high officials who know exactly how badly it bites to be a jilted customer, because techs keep reminding them. It will get better, for whats its worth.

Greybear

anyone find any 'warez'(not really because they are freeware anyways) drivers yet? i have been doing a little digging, cant find a thing yet. if i find anything i'll post a link here.

peace