Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exorcist

New Creative Dxr3 Win2k Beta Drivers

The Creative beta drivers and application appear to be working fine for me under Windows 2000 Professional (final). Tried 'em out with The Matrix, though I didn't have time to play the movie all the way through.

Well, I tried them out tonight. Some good news and some bad news. Good news is I don't have to have to install the Hollywood Plus Betas and hacks. More good news: I don't have to disable PnP in the Bios on my ASUS P3B-F to get them to work. Even more good news: movies play great! Now the bad news: after installing them and trying to put the computer in standby mode, it says something along the lines of "Computer can not go into Standby mode because of Nvidia Geforce DDR device driver." Don't know if this is Nvidia or Creative but I tend to think Creative (since it worked before installing the Dxr3 drivers and after removing the Dxr3 drivers). More bad news: D3D games take a big hit in frames/sec just like the Hollywood Plus betas...Well, it's getting a little bit better: 3 pluses and 2 minuses, but I have to have 5 PLUSES, so that makes it unacceptable for the time being.

anyone tried these yet with beta3 drivers for a voodoo3500 installed?

there is a major conflict with the sigma designs drivers and the voodoo3500 tv drivers which causes a loss of all tv functions. it sucks ass. here i am using software decoding and watching dvds on a 19in monitor instead of my 27in television. if there are any souls out there with souls braver than mine, give this a try and let me know. i may try it soon if not anyway

check out www.hardocp.com

------------------

If the flames are blue, does that mean it's faster?

Ledzeppel, sorry to hear they've worked out that way for you...guess that's why they're beta wink

I don't have PnP enable in my BIOS on my old-now Dell D333, or ACPI for that matter. Kinda nice being able to choose what IRQ's get used for what (in a round-about-way). Nor am I currently running any D3D games, just OpenGL. And thanks for the heads-up on the conflicts you mentioned.

Hopefully, Creative (or Sigma Designs, or whoever) will get stuff fixed for the final release. Gawd knows, some of us have been waiting a long, long time for something other than the Hollywood/Creative Dxr2/Dxr3 hack!

I should mention that I'm using a GeForce SDR with NVidia 5.22 drivers. I may try enabling standby mode and see if I get the same results.

[This message has been edited by DeadCats (edited 10 June 2000).]

Ok I loaded the driver and application and the good news is the computer reboots, bad is when I launch the player my system reboots

any thoughts?

Ned

FIC SD11

AMD K7-750

Dxr3

CL Riva TnT2

I've been using the sigma drivers since they came out and was happy that I could get drivers from Creative. Thus began my 3 hour legacy of DVD hell. After removing the old player, nt4 drivers, and sigma's driver I installed the new one from creative. At first I couldn't install the player app, Windows would try to use the default dvd player to play, which creative's drivers aren't even close to supporting. That just locked up my machine. I thought it could be remnants from the sigma drivers or earlier player so I removed all of them by hand. No luck. Finally I removed all traces of the new creative driver manually, booted into safe mode and installed the driver again. After rebooting, I was then able to install the creative player. Ah-ha I thought I had it - WRONG!! When I played a movie, it seemed to be dropping frames here and there - I'd say prob every 20th frame or so. But that wasn't the worst part. I let that go and used media player to play a couple mpeg music videos I have on my machine. The first one the video part ran at lik 1.1X normal speed while the sound went at normal speed. The second video ran at like 1/10th normal speed - both sound and video. After trying in vain to fix it, I finally had to give up. Uninstalled the player (mpeg still messed up) and then manually removed all the driver files. I installed the sigma ones again and then used the nt4 install from the new drivers. After that installed the new player and everything was perfect again.

Better luck next time Creative frown

In case anyone wants to know, here's my system:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Pro (running fully PNP w/o ACPI - wasn't working in the BIOS at install time, it is now but Win2k has to be reinstalled to use it)

Processor: AMD K6-3 450 w/ 128 Megs PC100

Motherboard: DFI K6XV3+/66 with thier latest BIOS (running fully at 100mhz FSB)

Hard Drive: Maxtor 13Gig UDMA66 7200rpm (formatted in NTFS 5)

Video: Diamond V770 TNT2 32 Meg (official Detonator 2 drivers - v5.22)

Sound: SB Live! Sound (official Creative Liveware 2000 drivers)

Modem: USR 56K INT PnP (firmware 5.0.0), 3Com Windows Modem PCI ADI (PCI Winmodem - VXD 1.00.028)

Network: NETGEAR FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (PCI 10/100 card)

DVD Decoder: Creative DXR3 Dvd Decoder (beta1 Hollywood Drivers w/Creative NT4 drivers)

Misc: Creative PC-DVD 5X drive, 1.44 floppy, PS/2 Intellimouse w/ intellipoint for w2k (ver. 3.10.0.393)

[This message has been edited by JediBaron (edited 10 June 2000).]

smile I installed this on top of the hollywood plus drivers in Win2k and things only got better. My hibernate came back. I can also pass AC-3 thru my soundcard like Win98 does. It still doesn't pass AC-3 on NT4 though. smile

Well, I'll be reinstalling Windows 2000 when I install my new Abit KA7 mobo and GeForce 2 GTS, so I'll be sticking those new Creative Dxr3 drivers in and seeing how I get on with them smile

Hopefully have some good news to report soon.

-Ex-

It now seems that the Creative Dxr3 beta somehow "kidnaps" some of the video codecs. At least, that's what it appears to do. I noticed on starting some of my .MPG video files in Windows Media Player, that Media Player tries (unsuccessfully) to download updated codecs. The result is the video is very slow and jerky. It did not do this prior to installing the Creative beta.

Uninstalling the Creative beta did not remedy this, nor did installing the new Media Player beta help either.

I was able to confirm that Creative's beta caused this problem, since I had to install a new HDD yesterday and did a clean install of Win2000 on the new drive. I ran a .MPG video in Windows Media Player just prior to installing Creative's beta, and it ran fine. After installing the beta the same problem occurred.

However, I can use the Creative PC-DVD player to run the .MPG videos, so not all is lost...though it pisses me off to have to resort to that.

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat: You talk to it but you're never really sure if it hears you, much less comprehends what you say."

tried it

knocks out all tv functions from the voodoo3500, oh well.

------------------

If the flames are blue, does that mean it's faster?

Also I have been using Windows 2000 for more than a year. In ALL of that time I have NEVER had to insert the Windows 2000 CD to install a piece of hardware. Thank you Creative. Thank you very very VERY much.

I seem to have the same problem as some guys above, it's screwed Media Player up somehow.

Oh well, Creative might actually do something right these days and release a good quality piece of software which doesn't screw anything else up.

/me hears Pig flying overhead

-Ex-

I installed the drivers over the workaround, and at first it worked right, then it began to reboot my system when I tryed to play a DVD. So I then removed all the applications and stuff from add/remove programs, removed the driver, rebooted, then proceeded to start from scratch. Since then, it's worked perfectly, the passthrough to my DTS2500 system still works perfectly (no need for the Live! even tho I have one) and I play the DVDs through Playcenter. No problems with Windows Media Player 7 beta that I didnt have previously...so far, so good...oh, btw...I'm running this on a PII-400, SB Live! Value, Diamond Viper 770 Ultra with Detonator 2 drivers, SP1 beta 1, and DX8 beta.

Does anyone have any luck with Region Changing software with these drivers?

I usually use RemSelect 1.74 from VisualDomain.net, which lets me choose any region before firing the player up. But with these new drivers the region tabs are grayed out....are there any other pieces of software that do the same, but work with these new drivers? smile

-Ex-

Installed the new beta drivers last night:-

* Media Player got screwed.

Couldn't playback mpeg clips.

* BSOD when installing old version of

Creative DVD player. I wanted to install

the old one to use Region Selector.

* Random USB mouse freezes on boot-up (never happened before, so I assume it's creative's fault!! hehe)

(did the developers skip the alpha stage of driver development? BETA my ass).

My computer reboots when I launch the dvd player. At control panel, the new DXR 3 icon doesn't allow to change anything. Every option appears grayed out.

I have a Celeron 400 Mhz, 128 Mb, acpi enabled, sblive, creative voodoo2, and creative 5x dxr3 kit .

It works very well with the sigma drivers.

Does anybody knows how to solve the rebooting problem using creative's drivers ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Exorcist:

Topic says it all, really - go here;

http://ftp.ctlsg.creaf.com/files/creative/drivers/dvd/dvdr3-beta.zip

They're just over 5.5mb - I'm downloading them now but won't be able to try them out till tonight at least.

smile

-Ex-