Compatible Support Forums
ezritches

advanced bios help

I caught my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter who wanted to see pictures booting up my PC and pushing buttons on the keyboard. Whatever she did caused it to reboot to the advanced bios screen. How can I get back to a normal boot without causing any damage? Can I access the hard drive to copy files another way so I do not loose them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Usually when you try to exit BIOS, it will ask if you want to save settings. Select "Exit without saving changes." Is your computer functioning properly since the accident?

If something else happened to your hard drive (HDD) and the OS is damaged, you can copy those files to another HDD by making the new one your primary and the old one your slave. Check the sides of the HDDs for the jumper settings; they're usually printed on the top or bottom. It may take a few tries to get it right, so don't get too frustrated. You may just need to perform an OS repair using the installation disk.

You could also just set the BIOS to "default" or "safe default" settings, select save changes(usually the F10 or F11 key), and reboot. If all she did was screw up the BIOS, there will be no damage to your HDD, as in the files on your HDD.

As for the same OS, nope, Windoze is Windoze when it comes to this.