Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Princess Sophie

torjan horse downloder.Zlob.AFVX

Hi there,

I was silly enough to download this shit as a spyware and now I can not get rid of it. I have a system alert flashing in my corner all the time and i get pop up window messages in every 3 minutes. It drives me mad.

I've tried to delete it, move it to the virus vault but nothing has changed. I think it got even worse.

Please, somebody tell me what to do. It's my birthday tomorrow. Surprise me with a good advice, please!!!I really really really want to make this thing disappear. I am bagging you. I am hopeless...

If you feel comfortable with editing the registry, you might want to take a look at these instructions: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-042316-2917-99&tabid=3

I'm not positive that this is the same threat, but it's woth a shot. Before you do anything, make sure that you backup the registry first, in case you accidentally mess up (it happens, trust me). To do so, while in the registry, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Export." Save this file somewhere where you'll remember it.

Edit: By the way, happy birthday. It's mine, too.

Hey,

I'm so sorry, I haven't got a chance to say thank you for your advice yet. I've been pretty busy. And happy birthday to you too!!! Was it really your birthday?! wink

So I've had a look at the site you recommended me. I'm not sure I can do this. I'm really not good at computing and I'm not in the position to ask for help around me so this is why I'm here. First of all I haven't been useing Norton for years because it didn't work for me. So I have AVG now. And I don't know anything about registry. frown Too bad.

I still have the virus and I can not get rid of it. But the pop up thing has disappeared. But my pc has its own mind now. frownfrownfrown

Every time I go on the Internet I have to edit the privacy again because it accepts all cookies. It's wierd because it's normaly on medium. Then when I type sometimes it doesn't type every letter I hit so sorry about the missing letters. frown And sometimes when I switch it off it doesn't switch off. The other day I needed to rush out so I hibernated it. It went black as normal then a minuit later it swithed back on.

Any other ideas I could try to fix what I've screwed up?! Can I trust those sites which say they can remove trojan horse downloder?! Or those are viruses too?! How can I know that?! I'm sorry for asking too much. I just want to make sure I don't do any more mistakes.

Thanks for your time. wink

Have you tried reinstalling XP with a repair installation?

Boot of your XP CD, and the SECOND time it asks you to do a repair install(the "R" option), click yes. You won't lose any files, and it will fix any(most) corruption of the registry.

If that fails, back up what you want to keep to a CD/DVD, then format and do a full install of XP. After that, be VERY careful about what you download, clicking "Okay" is not always a good thing. crazy

Originally Posted By: Princess Sophie
Any other ideas I could try to fix what I've screwed up?! Can I trust those sites which say they can remove trojan horse downloder?! Or those are viruses too?! How can I know that?! I'm sorry for asking too much. I just want to make sure I don't do any more mistakes.

Sometimes those sites work, but I would recommend staying away from them. They usually require you to pay for a service and occassionally throw spyware onto your machine. Just avoid them. And don't worry about asking "too much." If you don't know, how else are you going to find out?

I'm suprised Symantec does not have a removal tool for this one, because a lot of people don't feel comfortable screwing with the registry. Take Relic's advice of trying to repair Windows using the installation CD. I'd hold off on formatting and reinstalling until it's a last resort; he's right that this will definitely get rid of any problems you're having, though. Reinstallation is just a big pain and I try to avoid it if I can. If you're out of options, save what data you can and format.

NOTE: By formatting your hard drive, you willl be permanently erasing all data on your system. You will not be able to recover anything from the hard drive after you have formatted it.

And, yes, it really was my birthday. wink

Hi Guys,

You won't believe it but one day I woke up and my virus was gone. smile OK, it wasn't that simple. Somebody recomended me a program, NOD32 to try out. Well, I did. It didn't do a lot first but than a few weeks later it started to do things and now my pc is all clean. I'm so happy. smile

Thank you for all your support. wink