Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
guru2001

bios update

Please post the exact make, model and revision of your system or motherboard.

What method did you use to flash the bios? Some boards require you to use specific methods of flashing the bios.

Are you sure that you had the EXACT bios update for your system or motherboard, including the motherboard revision?

Did you follow the instructions on the manufacturer's site? For example, some vendors stress clearing the cmos after the flash, or setting the system defaults in the bios right after the flash update.

The motherboard is MSI Neo V v2.0. Not sure about the revision.

I tried using Live update from the MSI website. It was suppose to determine the updates automatically and it did. However, during installation my computer froze. Now it won't run up.

You can try a couple of things, including the bios force recovery as noted under BIOS flash failed during BIOS update.

But this would require that you know the exact board and download the appropriate bios to a floppy.

You can try reseting the cmos jumper if the system tries to boot but stops (and you can't get into the bios to set the defaults).

Which board is it? There are a several in the 5 series;

915PL Neo-V (MS-7143)

848P_Neo-V (MS-6788)

K9NU_Neo-V (MS-7270)

K8T_Neo-V (MS-7032)

K8N_Neo-V (MS-7030)...

Note the MS number designation.

Note the link's troubleshooting steps for different stages of the system not booting.

One issue is making sure that the bios settings were set to allow a flash of the bios.

The other is that a person thinks that the system locked-up, when the bios was actually still flashing and he/she rebooted the computer before the flash was completed.

But I had my system lock up with live update (driver, not bios update), so I understand that it probably could have truely locked-up.

K8N_Neo-V 2.0 (MS-7030)

How can I download the bios update without using live update?

thanks.

Yes you can download it from the MSI site here.

Make absolutely sure you have the right bios for your system There are two or three MS-7030 boards listed. Just leave the platform dropdown at all and pick your system from the board dropdown list. The file is in rar format, so you will need a program to uncompress the rar file. Then follow the directions exactly as noted in the first link that I gave you on my previous post.