Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
t0nystump

Red Hat 9 has all nForce 2 drivers but one....

The LAN card driver.

...de-ja-vu (over a month now on Red Hat 8.0)....

Red Hat 9 seems to fix the sound problem, plus the onboard 1394 controller is recognized, but still no Network controller seen.

EPoX 8RDA+ mainboard here. Manual revision 11/13/02 states that it is a RTL8201BL chip.

nVidia's not helpin either their drivers are outdated as far as my motherboard's concerned. Factory BIOS date was 12/31/02, and the last release of Linux nForce drivers were 11/6/02 - roughly 2 months prior to shipping of MB.

Other than that Red Hat 9 looks pretty sweet -)

Please tell me if there is a place I have not checked for the driver. nVidia's dont work at all on RH8 - probably wont on 9 either. Download.com only has M$ stuff.

Try the "8139too" driver.

modprobe 8139too

It is not well detected by ANY kernel at this point. You nearly have to force it to load... but once it does... you should be good to go.

It points to say /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o init_module No such device.

Browsed folder file not existant.

Got any URLs?

... First time I reviewed my post, looked like the subject was "Dont have dinner"

I re-installed the nVidia drivers for Red Hat 9 since I had a feeling it would help out. It got further then it did in 8.0 but, still, same old crap.

It detected nvnet as enet0 and as enet01, but, it also says the device is not present - kind of hard to believe thats the problem when the network is onboard... Did everything in the ReadMe.txt file

Aparently the 8139too is not built into RH9. I tried to download it from SourceForge.net but all i got was some .diff file that RH didnt know what to do with. I tried to select the NIC to function as a 8139C, a 8139 / SMC, and a SIS 900/7012L (many a time) - none to any benifit. The nvnet got farthest of them but still ran a half a mile short of the finish line.

Am I doing somthing wrong here? I admit, I am new to installing drivers on Linux... and I dont happen to have a spare RTL 8139 hanging around although if I have to buy it I can, but I dont know what I will do about my "forced" static IP address rolleyes

// just to add the full output from that earlier thing (reading from a printout here that I did usin good ol cut'n'paste)

[root@localhost root]# modprobe 8139too

/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.c init_module No such device

Hint insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ paramaters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o insmod /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o failed

/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/net/8139too.o insmod 8139too failed

Ah forget it ill just use this NetGear just bought from Best Buy. This card it works ok. nVida has compatability issues.

For starters, the RealTek chip is only a physical layer transceiver, the nVidia MAC in the MCP is doing all the actual work so ReaLTek drivers are unlikely to work with it, you need the nvnet driver. Secondly, is nvnet being properly aliased in /etc/modules.conf? There should be a line in there that looks something like this:

Code:
alias eth0 nvnet

If it isn't there, add it. Next, type

Code:
modprobe nvnet

at the command prompt along with

Code:
tail /var/log/messages

to see any error messages that are produced in activating the driver. If all goes well you should see a message informing you the driver started successfully in the messages file at which point you should be good to go. Open up the network configuration applet and give eth0 an IP address, subnet mask and if needed, default gateway and DNS entries. If you get an error message post it here and let's see if we can't do something about it. Remember kids, GUIs are not always the best way to get things done.

The above post was made under the assumption that RH9 actually shipped with the correct driver but it wasn't being set up correctly which doesn't appear to be the case (despite RH9 knowing that the nForce nVidia MAC requires the nvnet driver):

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13739

An RPM containing the kernel driver is available and even though it's meant for an nForce1 board, it should work for an nForce2 board as well:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12097

http://www.pheran.com/nv7linux/

It's compiled using the older (.0248) drivers so you may still have to compile it by hand if you want to use the latest (.0256) drivers. Also, as I'm not too familiar with the RPM, I'm not sure if it sets up the proper device aliases or not so you may have to do that manually as per the instructions in my post.

I installed RedHat 9 Friday night on a Shuttle SN41G2 XPC, and had not been able to get networking to work. I came across this post, which led me to the nForce network driver for RedHat 9 at //www.pheran.com/nv7linux/

I used a Windows XP machine to download the RPM onto a floppy. The first time I tried to install it on the XPC I got an error 'Could Not Open Package - The file "/mnt/floppy/nvnet-1.0-0248-1.athlon.rpm" does not appear to be a valid RPM file'. I went back to the XP machine, reformatted the floppy, and re-downloaded the RPM. This time it installed without a hitch. I then went into System Tools, Network Device Control and clicked Activate. You might have to do more than that but I already had a device configured. I then ran the Internet Configuration Wizard. After a reboot I was able to access the internet and the RedHat Network.

A HUGE thank-you to those who have contributed, especially Pheran and Admiral LSD.

David

Thanks to everyone who posted on this. My experience was that using nvidia's *.tar.gz file, unpacking it, then making the network driver (both "make" and "make install") was the best way of solving this problem.

Cheers,

Ross-c

I tried the drivers for the Abit NV7-133R nForce mobo on my Epox 8RDA+...everything is golden now! laugh

I'm having similar (well, identical) problems with Mandrake 9.1 on my Shuttle SN41G2. I'm a newbie and so I may be wrong, but I'm assuming the Redhat drivers won't work in Mandrake. Can anybody help me out?

I'm fairly certain nVidia have Mandrake RPMs for nvnet and nvaudio on their nForce Linux driver page:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html

Failing that, there's always the source tarballs:

Code:
cd /usr/srctar zxvf ~/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.tar.gzcd nforce/nvnetmakemake install

followed by the directions in my previous post on how to set up modules.conf and probe the nvnet module.