Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tourettes

nVidia 3.84 & 5.14

Does anyone know what differences is betveen 3.81 and 3.84 drivers?

I'm having some problems related to 5.14 drivers.

1. I'm having some random lock ups. One lock up in a day or two.

2. Color palette is messed up. Nearly always when I start a game my palette seems to get messed. Switching few time back to desktop usually solves this problem.

3. Sometimes my icons or cursor get messed up.

The 5.xx versions support the FSAA option, etc. They tend to stress the system/card with a lot of new stuff, and note that all the 5.xx releases are betas. No 5.xx rev has been released officially (for good reason, too). The 3.xx versions are the official releases, meaning they are supposed to be more solid. In my experience, under W98, all of the driver sets have been damn solid, but under W2k, I am getting the once a day system freeze.

When I dumped the SBLive from my machine, the freezes dropped from every couple of hours to every day or two, so I believe that in my case the fact that I am running SMP is the problem. I don't believe either NVidia or CL are final on the SMP issue by a long shot.

:}

Yes, i know they are beta but , arrrrggg how do i get my regular color back ive tried everything i re-install , unistall but no luck plz help i want my nice color back and what is SMP?!

Thanks

well i installed 5.14 this weekend and , it currupted my whole system. Finally got it running after a day's worth of reinstalling , went back to 5.13 =)

I have the same problem ...

low color for icons etc ... except that for me there are other problems all related to directx : I can't have the overlay work since I upgrade to the 5.13 drivers (quite annoying for the PCTV).

I wonder if those drivers have modified something in the registry or have overwritten files needed by directX but what is sure is that our problem is a directx problem.

There are a lot of people (really a lot) that have the same problem as ours. Many things have been tried and often they end with a reinstallation.

ps1 : I'm under w2k.

ps2 : of course I tried to downgrade to 3.* drivers but /dev/null

Hrrrmmm......so has anyone figured out why or who to fix the low color on the icons it really looks ugly especially IE and Winamp icons look horid....i want my wonderful color back could the 5.* driver have screwed up the registery in a way if there is an answer ill be happy to get my colors back thanks!

Viper

Hey viper, i told you man....you gotta clean out that pesky registry. If you are still getting muffled colors than your card is still having conflicts with previous drivers. It happens man. Especially if you switch drivers and you aren't in safe mode. I had this problem too....then i learned the error of my ways.

It's real simpl, if you got about an hour, you can pop your cd in, go to the win32.exe file in the i386 directory and run the program. Reinstall windows, it will clean the registry, then pick a "SAFE" version of the nvidia drivers....i recommend 3.78. After it is done installing, just recreate your shortcuts and icons and you are back to normal. smile

Ahhhh, ya i know that but i dont want to redo my icons okay what exactly happens when i reinstall win2k...i know it gives a clean copy of the registery but i want all my proggies to stay will i have to reinstall then to get them installed in the registry again!

??!??!

your proggies should run normally if you just install Win2K again.

you know what's strange, i used to have 5.16 drivers (also 5.13 and 5.14) and i some games everything ran great, but in a few games (NFS PU, Messiah, Thief 2) my computer boots when it tries to load the 3D scene. it gets to the menu normally, but freezes when i go into the game

any clue how to fix that?

------------------

I feel the need, the need for speed

Okay i've figured this out it ain't really anyone fault it will work for somea nd not for other...it is just that the new drivers have a higher color depth...and cause some icon to change...i am trying to figure out how to fix this...and ummm...ive got another problem it has just happened recently that in Windows media play or realplay i cant go to 50% , 200% and sometimes not even fullscreen it just give me a blank screen but it is till playing i just cant see it like when i right clickon it to get the options i see a sec of the movie then it goes away but leaves the menu on the screen of the video and answers?!

Thanks!

Like many of the people here, I too am

having intermittent lockup problems since installing the 5.14 drivers - doesn't matter what application I'm in or how long the system has been on for.

I've tried going back to the 5.13 drivers (which worked flawlessly & which, on reflection, I shoulda stuck with!) but the system will STILL lock up, forcing me to reboot.

My system:

PIII 550

32MB Creative Labs GeForce DDR

SBLive Value

256MB RAM

Win98/Win2k Dual-boot

Anybody got any ideas on this? I'm starting to think I might be better off reinstalling win2k at this stage (luckily I have it dual-booted with win98), but I'd appreciate any other ideas anyone may have.

Also, as I'm fairly new to the WinNT/Win2k OS, can anyone tell me how to set up the "Last Configuration" option on the boot

menu so it takes a snapshot every day/boot?

Thanks in advance for any help....

I doesn't have a last configuration option by default? My install seems to. I always back out of bad drivers with it. (Hit F8 during boot like 98 and it should be there).

i have the SBLive, and despite new unofficial driver releases, i stayed with 3.78 and i almost NEVER reboot. no problems at all

Quote:
Originally posted by scuzy:
well i installed 5.14 this weekend and , it currupted my whole system. Finally got it running after a day's worth of reinstalling , went back to 5.13 =)

I have the 5.16 drivers and they work great, Have my system with W2K running for 2 weeks non-stop.