Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
someone_nt

Asus P5A+Windows 2000+Modem+Connect to the Internet=Reboot

When I connect to the internet using an external modem (3 com US Robotics 56K), it just reboots my system without even giving me a nice BSOD (note:I've unchecked the automatically reboot on failure checkbox found in System Properties-> Startup and recovery. It still does the same). This reboots vary from 10 to 15 minutes after being online.

When I'm lucky enough, a nice BSOD appear s giving me a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, A00000 3xxxxxx win32k.sys.

Previously my system crashed when I played 3d games. I installed Ali AGP driver for windows 2000. Now my games work. But my problems with Internet are still present.

In an Asus messageboard, sometime ago, I found a user that had a similar problem, but with NT 4.0. Is it a problem of NT architecture? My modem has been working fine under windows 98, Linux and Beos. Why doesn't it work fine?

Here are my specs:

-Asus p5a (with BIOS 1010 beta 2)

-creative graphics blaster riva tnt (using creative 5/2000 drivers for windows 2000; and ALI AGP Driver for windows 2000)

-Sound Blaster Live with liveware 2000

-Windows 2000 Pro in ACPI mode.

hey

i'm having the SAME probs as u

i also have the same modem but have a gigabyte ga 5ax motherboard (ali chipset)

if u find out why its happening pls let me know

someone people are saying its cause its overheating but that cant be right my case is huge with lots of fans!

Hi there,

I'm using Win2k on a ASUS P5A with a K6-III/400 and a ASUS-3400 (TNT/16mb) with the nvidia 3.84 drivers WITHOUT the ALI AGP drivers and I DONT have this problem.

Though, dialup seems to broken in Win2k. It sometimes "crashes" and won't let me dialup anymore without a reboot, i.e. the dialog box just doesn't come up anymore... really strange and annoying. Usually my modem settings are completely wrecked then ( 38400 bps, no error correction and no compression). So I think there are some bugs in the dialup sw of Win2k.

Hope that helps to track down your problem.

-Maxx

[This message has been edited by maxx (edited 22 May 2000).]