The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the beta release of Ubuntu 8.10
Desktop and Server. Codenamed "Intrepid Ibex", 8.10 continues Ubuntu's
proud tradition of integrating the latest and greatest open source
technologies into a high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution.
Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition delivers the features you need for an
increasingly mobile digital life, including 3G wireless support and
guest sessions that lets users temporarily share computers without
Ubuntu 8.10 Server consolidates its support for virtualization with an
integrated Virtual Machine builder, and brings with it a fully-supported
Java stack and support for per-user directory encryption.
The Ubuntu 8.10 family of variants, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, UbuntuStudio, and
Mythbuntu, also reach beta status today.
Xorg 7.4 brings improved support for automatic configuration of input
hardware, such as keyboards and mice.
3G support: Network Manager 0.7 comes with a number of greatly anticipated
features, including management of 3G connections (GSM/CDMA) and PPP/PPPoE
Guest sessions: the User Switcher panel applet provides a new option for
starting a Guest session. This creates a temporary, password-less user
account with restricted privileges - perfect for lending out your laptop for
a quick email check.
Please see http://www.ubuntu.co...g/intrepid/beta for details.
Encrypted private directories: the installer now offers the option to
configure a secret encrypted folder for each user, to be unlocked and
mounted at login time, using ecryptfs.
Virtualization: Ubuntu 8.10 ships with a Virtual Machine builder that allows
complete Virtual Machines to be built from the command line in less than
five minutes, with support for scripting custom virtual images.
Java: a complete free Java™ stack is supported in Ubuntu 8.10, including
OpenJDK and Apache Tomcat 6.0, making Ubuntu a great choice for Java
development and deployment.
Kubuntu builds on the groundwork of the Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix to provide
a fully-supported KDE 4 desktop in Kubuntu 8.10.
Please see https://wiki.kubuntu...ex/Beta/Kubuntu for details.
Xubuntu comes with the light-weight Xfce 4.4.2 desktop environment for those
who want a desktop that is easy to use, but places particular emphasis on
conserving system resources.
Ubuntu Studio includes the updates to input hardware and sound device
management from Ubuntu Desktop, and includes a complete suite of tools for
generation of audio, video, and graphic content.
See http://mythbuntu.org/8.10/beta for information about the Mythbuntu beta
* On the Desktop: KDE 4.1.2, GNOME 2.24, OpenOffice.org 2.4.1, X.org 7.4
* On the Server: Apache 2.2, PostgreSQL 8.3, PHP 5.2.6, LTSP 5.1
* "Under the hood": GCC 4.3.2, glibc 2.8, Linux 2.6.27, Python 2.5
The full release notes can be found at
Ubuntu is a full-featured Linux distribution for desktops, laptops, and
servers, with a fast and easy installation and regular releases. A
tightly-integrated selection of excellent applications is included, and
an incredible variety of add-on software is just a few clicks away.
Professional technical support is available from Canonical Limited and
hundreds of other companies around the world. For more information about
support, visit http://www.ubuntu.com/support
To Get Ubuntu 8.10 Beta
Download Ubuntu 8.10 Beta here (choose the mirror closest to you):
* http://ubuntu.mirror...tu-release/8.10 (South Africa)
* http://ftp.daum.net/...u-releases/8.10 (Korea, Republic of)
* http://ftp.tcc.edu.tw/iso/Ubuntu/8.10 (Taiwan)
* http://tw.releases.ubuntu.com/8.10 (Taiwan)
* http://ubuntu.mirrors.proxad.net/8.10 (France)
* http://ftp.uni-kl.de...ubuntu.iso/8.10 (Germany)
* http://nl.releases.u...m/releases/8.10 (Netherlands)
* http://se.releases.ubuntu.com/8.10 (Sweden)
* http://mirror.anl.go...tu-iso/CDs/8.10 (United States)
* http://mirrors.gigenet.com/ubuntu/8.10 (United States)
* http://ubuntu.cs.uta...u/releases/8.10 (United States)
* http://ubuntu-releases.optus.net/8.10 (Australia)
* http://planetmirror....u/releases/8.10 (Australia)
* http://ftp.citylink....u-releases/8.10 (New Zealand)
* http://ubuntu.c3sl.u...r/releases/8.10 (Brazil)
Rest of the world:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10 (Great Britain)
Please download using Bittorrent if possible.
To upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 Beta from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS,
follow these instructions:
The final version of Ubuntu 8.10 is expected to be released in October 2008.
There are a few key issues that users will want to take note of before
upgrading to this beta.
* The e1000e device driver (which provides support for Intel GigE ethernet
hardware) is currently disabled due to a serious bug. A fix for this
bug has already been prepared and will be released shortly as an update
to all users of the beta release.
* No real-time kernel variant is available for the Linux 2.6.27 kernel
included with Ubuntu 8.10 Beta. Users of Ubuntu``Studio 8.04 who need
real-time kernel support are advised not to upgrade to Ubuntu``Studio
Feedback and Helping
If you would like to help shape Ubuntu, take a look at the list of ways you
can participate at
Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help turn this Beta
into the best release of Ubuntu ever. Please report bugs through the
Launchpad bug tracker:
If you have a question, or if you think you may have found a bug but are not
sure, first try asking on the #ubuntu IRC channel on FreeNode, on the Ubuntu
Ubuntu 8.10 Beta released
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users