Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FoLLgoTT

Can APM be enabled in Advanced Server???

I heard that it is not supported by Win 2000 (Advanced) Server, but my PC doesn't support ACPI so it doesn't turn off after shut down. I can't enable APM, because the option is not there under power management properties.

Is there a way to enable it by editing the registry?

thanx,

FoLLgoTT

The mobo needs to support APM or ACPI (or have the enabled in the BIOS) before the option will appear in W2K of whatever stripe.

W2K in all it's variations supports both APM and ACPI, but if the mobo doesn't then you're SOL.

My Motherboard supports APM! A BIOS update doesn't help either. I think with Win 2000 Pro it had the APM option.

FoLLgoTT

Ya, I couldnt get Power Management to work in Win2k Advanced Server either. I can get it to work in Pro no problem. This is not a power management enable thing from the bios. I dont know how you can say that the motherboard probably doesnt support Power management since you would be hard pressed to find a new motherboard that doesnt support this feature nowadays. Maybe Advanced Server just doesnt support this feature because the PC is meant to be a server and should not be going into suspend mode and should not be shuting down automatically because it is meant to be up all the time anyways.

Not true. Server machines might not do suspend, but power-down from the console is a very important requirement for remotely managed machines. The Compaq Proliant boxes I've been responsible for have had this feature...

Perhaps W2K/AS doesn't install APM support by default. Have you tried adding support for it?