Compatible Support Forums
rkatt

Unable to Authenticate on XP Pro Network Share

I am running two XP Pro computers (both currently have SP3.) I have folders shared on both computers. Only one computer am I able to authenticate the login and view the directory listing. I've confirmed that both computers are on the same network by running the Network Connection Wizard. I've set the problem computer to authenticate as both 'Guest Only' (simple file sharing on) and 'Classic' (simple file sharing off) and had no success with either. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both 'Client for Microsoft Networks' and 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' with no success. I've confirmed that restrictanonymous is set to 0 in the registry. The policy 'Access this computer from the network' is set to Everyone. The policy 'Deny access to this computer from the network' is set to SUPPORT_xxxxxxx. The local user account is an admin account and has a password set for it. The folders for this account are NOT marked private. I'm NOT trying to share an unsharable folder such as Program Files or Documents and Settings. I did install IIS and the problem seemed to appear right around the same time but uninstalling IIS does not correct my problem. No matter what settings I change, once I select a network share from My Network Places->Microsoft Windows Network->(Network Name)->(Computer Name) it asks me to type a username and password and when I select OK the same window pops up again immediately asking for the same input. I'm not sure what else to try...anyone have any ideas?

Performing a system restore seems to have corrected the problem.