Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bluebird

The Sims

Can anyone post instructions for installing The Sims under Linux?

I'm getting the following errors

joel@bluebird:/cdrom$ winelauncher setup.exe

Invoking /usr/bin/wine setup.exe ...

Wine exited with a successful status

but nothing appears to happen

winex (CVS version) just prints out

wine client error:(nil): wine client error:(nil): wine client error:(nil): wine client error:(nil): wine client error:(nil): wine client error:(nil): wine client error:(nil): wine client error:(nil):

until I kill the process

Any idea?

I think the main problem is that you are trying to run the standard windows version of The Sims.

The Sims from the Mandrake Linux Gaming Edition package is a special patched version for WineX.

For some reason, running the Setup.exe program didn't even work for me under windows. However, it's just the launcher...try this:

wine /mnt/cdrom/Setup/English/_s327.exe

That's the actual installer.

When running it, I get the Sims splash screen, the 'install shield' progress thing...and then an error frown.

Wine keeps running, but outputs this (with the installer halting completly):

Code:
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)  Major opcode of failed request:  12 (X_ConfigureWindow)  Serial number of failed request:  93  Current serial number in output stream:  98

From there I just have to kill it. Being a novice to wine, I'm stumped here, however.

If anyone wants to help me out on this one, im running the 6-18-03 build of wine, rpm packaged for Red Hat v. 9 on an Athlon.

Winex will not run the Windows version of the Sims. The Linux version uses a special version of winex which to my understanding is not available by itself. You have to buy the Linux version of the Sims if you want to play on Linux.

Not even winex huh?

Ahh well... wine will eventually get to it, and by then all the cool games will have ports to multiple systems on the same CD, and glut among other libraries will insure compatability for everything! :-p