Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carl543

Getting the internet to work

Hi before i start im a compleate novice with computers and os so linex is tottaly new to me.i installed the linex os no problems there but in the window were u chose the manual network config i only seem to have the wired connection option that dosent work and the the point to point connection option .the problem is that i need to know how to get my wireless usb wpn111 2.0 adapter to be recocignised so that the wire less option will come up in the manual connection network screen.please dont pass me onto a link as im sooo basic when it comes to understanding the complicated (even if it seems basic) instructions i will get confused.i have the usb,s resorse cd and from wat ive found out there are 3 drives on there i need to install which ive done and nothing has happened they are WPN111.SYS ,AR5523.BIN and NETWPN11.INF.Also i found out i needed to get a program called ndiswrapper which i found and are sat on my linux desk top along side all the drivers i mentioned above.the strange thing i found also is that nothing runs wen i tell it to why this is i dont know.If anyone out there can give me the most basic begginer never used linex before easy to understand guide as to what i have to do to use this cool os i would be forever great full:)when i get on the internet i recon all will be ok hopefully:D

i managed to get it online using a cable so now wat do i have to do to sort out the wireless in the most basic explanation u can give me :)cheers

ndiswrapper can use a Windows driver for your wireless usb, PCLOS includes it with the kernel, as does Puppy.I am not distro trolling here, just that the fact is I chose these distros due to the fact that I could connect with my wireless cards, running the live CD, and nothing else but a flash drive or CD with the drivers on it. Only two I've tested that did this, although some of their community remasters do also. The GUI walked me right through it, only had to provide drivers (.inf/ with sys in the same folder) and the wireless router's key. With so many people using wireless today it should be a no brainer to include it with the basics.